Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Maybe This Will Help for Free Motion Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/maybe-will-help-free-motion-quilting-t314749.html)

CaleyH 03-13-2021 12:37 PM

Maybe This Will Help for Free Motion Quilting

I've looked around on the internet for things to help me move the quilt sandwich around easier, but the cost is out of our world. I've got better things to spend my money on than plastic.

So I brain stormed and came up with a solution. Cut out from hardwood, or if you don't have that, some nice Pine wood, something about 3/4 inch thick and the size that will fit your hands comfortably. Make two of these wood shapes, and sand down all the rough edges

Go to your local hardware store, or just buy online wherever you can find 1/8 inch thick sheet cork.

Glue the cork to your wood, and let it cure. Then just cut away the excess cork, and then bevel the edges slightly.

Now you have two hand paddles you put atop your quilt sandwich, and move it around without having to use a lot of force. It's especially nice for people like myself who have arthritis, and gripping things for long periods can hurt. All you need are your palms to move things around.

I'm not posting a picture, as I believe anyone who makes these will make them to suit themselves. My trial pair were just pieces of hardwood measuring 3/4 x 2 x4 inches. Oh yes, I used Gorilla glue to tick things together. Maybe you can carve the tops, or wood burn a pattern to decorate yours.

Hope this will help someone.

Peckish 03-13-2021 12:47 PM

Interesting tip, thank you!

Back before I got my longarm, I just used gardening gloves with the nubby, rubbery print on the palms. Worked pretty darn good and I always bought a multi-pack of them at Costco in the spring, they were quite affordable.

Stitchnripper 03-13-2021 01:27 PM

Interesting. Another suggestion is those dobie dish scrubbers. I sewed wide elastic around them and slipped my hands in. Worked well. But I prefer Machingers.

CaleyH 03-13-2021 01:38 PM

One reason I don't use gloves is that they just don't work well for me. Not sure why I cannot get used to them, but, the one paiur I have never helped me move the fabric around

I just used my blocks with cork, and what a difference they make. They moved the fabric around effortlessly. I hardly had to put downward pressure. And my random movements were easier, and more precise. I will be trying to used these to follow lines I have marked on the fabric to see just how precise I can get.

nanibi 03-13-2021 03:37 PM

Does the cork go on bottom for traction, or top for comfort? Or both?
Thanks,
Nancy

Karamarie 03-13-2021 03:38 PM

Whatever works for you. Thanks for the hint.

CaleyH 03-13-2021 03:46 PM

The cork grabs the fabric. I guess you could put some kind of pad on top of the wood block for comfort

Jingle 03-13-2021 04:57 PM

I just use gardening gloves with rubber nubs. I also found and bought rubber gardening gloves.

Your boards sound like they would work better for some people.

CaleyH 03-13-2021 05:13 PM

They do help me with my severe arthritis. Also means I don't have to take off, then put back on the gloves, if I need to do something requiring dexterity..

Maureen NJ 03-14-2021 01:10 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I have handy husband with lots of wood scraps.