Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wool applique by machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wool-applique-machine-t315714.html)

Missi 06-25-2021 02:12 PM

wool applique by machine

I recently saw a beautiful wool applique quilt all done by machine. What thread weight do you all use when you do the wool applique by machine? I did some internet searching and found people using anywhere from a 12wt clear down to a 40wt. There are some new wool blend threads out there too - does any have an opinion on those? Thanks so much! I was at KCRQF last weekend and the wool applique sucked me in. I don't know what I was thinking.

sewingpup 06-25-2021 03:32 PM

I have used Aurfil 12 or 28 weight cotton thread. I ;usually do blanket stitch by machine on my wool applique. I haven't done a large quilt but have done some of those "penny rug" types.

Lena1952 06-26-2021 04:12 AM

I enjoy the handwork of wool applique, so I'm not sure I would ever use the machine for this work. Since I often use 50 & 40 weight thread for hand applique using wools and it doesn't show, I would think it would be similar if using the machine. Sewingpup, I would love to see one of your projects. Perhaps, it would convince me machine applique my wools. Oh and can I ask what size needle you use when using 12 or 28 weight? Thanks.

Sewgood 06-26-2021 04:24 AM

It depends on the look you want....if you want the stitches to show you can use ordinary thread and a buttonhole stitch - there is one on my machine that goes over the stitches twice so they are more pronounced.
If you don't want the stitches to show you can use a clear or matching thread and do a small zig zag.

cashs_mom 06-26-2021 05:11 AM

I did wool appliques years ago on a jacket. I just used Sulky invisible thread and and a zig zag stitch. It worked great

Missi 06-26-2021 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup (Post 8492959)
I have used Aurfil 12 or 28 weight cotton thread. I ;usually do blanket stitch by machine on my wool applique. I haven't done a large quilt but have done some of those "penny rug" types.

Same question what size needle?

Missi 06-26-2021 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sewgood (Post 8493024)
It depends on the look you want....if you want the stitches to show you can use ordinary thread and a buttonhole stitch - there is one on my machine that goes over the stitches twice so they are more pronounced.
If you don't want the stitches to show you can use a clear or matching thread and do a small zig zag.

what type of machine do you have? I have a newer Babylock and my buttonhole or blanket stitch is doubled too. I can’t decide if I like it and can’t find one that doesn’t double stitch.

tropit 06-27-2021 05:35 AM

I'm interested in this topic. I have lots of wool blanket scraps that I want to use for appliqued pillows. Thanks for bringing this up.

sewingpup 06-27-2021 07:49 AM

It has been a while since I have done the wool applique using aurfil thread so I went to their website and copied this chart.

12wt: 100/16 or 90/14 Topstitch needle, 4.5 Longarm needle
28 wt: 90/14 Topstitch, Quilting or Denim needle, 4.5 longarm needle
28wt: 90/14 Topstitch, Quilting or Denim needle, 4.0 Longarm needle
40wt: 80/12 Microtex/Sharp, Universal or Denim needle, 4.5 Longarm needle
50wt: 80/12 Microtex/Sharp, Universal or Denim needle, 4.0 Longarm needle
80wt: 70/10 or 80/12 Microtex/Sharp or Embroidery
Wool: 90/14 Topstitch needle, use the largest longarm needle possible
Polyester: 80/12 Microtex/Sharp, Universal or Denim Needle, 3.5 or 4.0 longarm needle
Monofilament: 80/12 or 70/10 Topstitching or Microtex/Sharp needle

Lena, I am trying to figure out how to get a photo off my phone, and into my computer so I can post a photo. Aughhhh... am not all the computer suave. I once just cut and pasted a photo here but I was sort of scolded.

Lena1952 06-28-2021 02:58 AM

Thanks Sewingpup for the needle info. I feel your pain about the photo problem. I'm not computer savvy either:-) is it easier if I pm you my email address? I really would love to see a pic of your work.