Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need to Reduce Thread Core Size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-reduce-thread-core-size-t315926.html)

ILoveToQuilt 07-20-2021 06:28 PM

Need to Reduce Thread Core Size

I usually use a wooden insert to make thread core fit on my machine spindle. Unfortunately, I've packed away my wooden inserts and need to make the thread fit on my machine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make the spool fit? My thread stand is also packed away, so I will need another idea.

Hope this is clear as to what I need to do.

Thanks!

dunster 07-20-2021 07:29 PM

You could try putting the spool or cone in an empty coffee cup behind the machine. Before I got a thread stand that's how I dealt with monofilament thread.

Tartan 07-20-2021 07:53 PM

Chunk of florist oasis or styrofoam? I keep pool noodles for a variety of things, a piece cut to fit might work as well.

janiebakes 07-21-2021 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8497434)
You could try putting the spool or cone in an empty coffee cup behind the machine. Before I got a thread stand that's how I dealt with monofilament thread.

In addition to Dunsters advice, place a binder clip on the "lid" of the sewing machine (part where all the stitches are illustrated) and put the thread through the metal loops.

sewingpup 07-21-2021 05:22 AM

You might try looking in your kitchen and see if you have any bottles with skinny necks you could put behind your machine to to hold the spool or cone. I just tried putting my cone of serger thread on a empty bottle of soy sauce.....seems a decent fit. I maybe would have to raise it up a bit with a coffee can or something if I am going to use it behind my machine.

thimblebug6000 07-21-2021 06:07 AM

At retreat one year, a woman was using the plastic core from a roll of "dog poop" bags. She said you buy them in a roll at the loonie store, and the core was just a perfect fit for the thread. She gifted me one and it works!

juliasb 07-21-2021 06:46 AM

I have a tall mug that I use and it works perfectly. I put it off to the side of my machines. Every one from my FW to my Janome.

ILoveToQuilt 07-21-2021 07:43 AM

Awesome ideas! I am going to try them all and see which works best for me. I love the pooper bags one - I have a pup, so I always have these bags in the house. Usually I toss them. Now if this works, I guess I'll have to save a few.

Thanks! QB members are the greatest!

quiltedsunshine 07-21-2021 05:25 PM

I have 2 different sized cash register tape tubes to put inside my Star thread spool.

toverly 07-22-2021 02:15 AM

My favorite "device" to use a large tube is a large empty peanut butter jar. A friend gave them out at our bee one Christmas. Her husband drilled a hole in the center of the lid and put a grommet around the hole for the thread to spool out. I also use it when a spool of thread doesn't want to play right.