Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Three Yard Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/three-yard-quilts-t316240.html)

Marcy J. 08-27-2021 01:36 PM

Three Yard Quilts

Has anyone made a quilt from Donna Robertson's 3-yard quilts books? Is there just enough fabric for the patterns or can you count on some left over. I would like to make the quilt a little bigger, but not big enough to use three additional yards as her books suggest.

Stitchnripper 08-27-2021 01:59 PM

I have made a bunch of them. three yards always has worked for me, but, I wouldn't count on enough to make a quilt that much bigger. I think she gives measurements for if you want to get more fabric to increase size.

BonnieJP 08-27-2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Marcy J. (Post 8504621)
Has anyone made a quilt from Donna Robertson's 3-yard quilts books? Is there just enough fabric for the patterns or can you count on some left over. I would like to make the quilt a little bigger, but not big enough to use three additional yards as her books suggest.

Couldn't you simply add or enlarge the border? It would make the quilt larger, but not require another 3 yards of fabric.

Maire 08-27-2021 03:06 PM

I’ve made several , love them, but the directions really use up most of the 3 yards. I mostly used fabrics I already had so was able to enlarge by probably just using an extra 1/2 yard or less of each print to make it a more comfortable throw size

Watson 08-27-2021 03:52 PM

I had enough to cut up for the binding. That was it.

Watson

goldsberry921 08-28-2021 12:20 AM

Maybe I am a late bloomer on these 3 yard quilts. I have made 2 quilt tops from one of her books. Personally, for those 2 particular patterns if I wanted them a bit larger, I would add borders. I plan to make more quilt tops from the book I purchased.
I have a lot of fabric, yes I know it's something unheard of 'round these parts but it's true!! My goal is to use my stash to make these quilt tops. I may sell a few unfinished ones and I may go through the whole process. Oh, one thing I did do was made the binding a bit wider.

Three Dog Night 08-28-2021 10:43 AM

Done a few of these, they are fast and easy and if you only use 3 yds. you will enough for the pattern and binding. If you want to make the quilt larger as others have said you will need more fabric. That said they are great for using up stash and making donation quilts.

bkay 08-30-2021 09:17 AM

Thanks so much for posting about this company. I've never heard of "3 yard quilts". They are perfect for using up scraps and short yardage. I have a bunch of I Spy fabric, lots of it in squares, but others in 1 yard or less pieces. Several of their patterns would be a perfect use for those fabrics.

I like donating to Project Linus, and they don't really want big quilts. Thanks again.

bkay

Murphy224 08-31-2021 01:19 AM

Fabric Cafe (home of the 3 yard quilt pattern) also has a You tube channel with videos showcasing ideas for the 3 yard quilts. I enjoy watching them to get different color ideas mainly what to use where. Also for checking out the different patterns and color combination/coordination which has always been a challenge to me.

garysgal 09-06-2021 06:58 AM

I wanted to buy one of her books but which one? They all seem to be similar. Which one did you buy ? thanks, Carol