Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Things I really do know about cooking - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/things-i-really-do-know-about-cooking-t316570.html)

bearisgray 10-08-2021 08:24 AM

Things I really do know about cooking -

but don't always do - -

1) Read the recipe all the way through before starting

2) Make sure that I have all the ingredients needed on hand before starting

osewme 10-08-2021 08:31 AM

I have found that as I've gotten older, I have to really read & re-read a recipe (as I am making the dish). Over the past few years I've found myself leaving out ingredients, not mixing them in the right order, etc, etc, etc. I have to constantly refer back to the recipe which I did not have to do so much in my younger years. Even things that I've made a zillion times still now require me to be more diligent in reading the recipe/instructions.

Doggramma 10-09-2021 11:42 AM

I also need to set everything out so I don’t forget things. My husband isn’t the only one who gets confused these days.

rusty quilter 10-09-2021 12:51 PM

It is working better for me if I set all the ingredients out ahead of time, then move them to my right, once I have used them.

sewingpup 10-09-2021 05:03 PM

Rusty! that is the method I use for when I do machine embroidery....I get the colors all lined up....and then move them to the other side as I go....ummm....sounds like a very good method for baking as well!

Tartan 10-09-2021 05:23 PM

I find myself double checking recipes now as I don’t bake as much as I used to.

cashs_mom 10-09-2021 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8512369)
I have found that as I've gotten older, I have to really read & re-read a recipe (as I am making the dish). Over the past few years I've found myself leaving out ingredients, not mixing them in the right order, etc, etc, etc. I have to constantly refer back to the recipe which I did not have to do so much in my younger years. Even things that I've made a zillion times still now require me to be more diligent in reading the recipe/instructions.

I"m so glad I'm not the only one. I find myself re-reading a recipe several times as I'm making it just so I get it right.

aashley333 10-10-2021 04:29 AM

When I use a familiar recipe, I have to scan it over to make sure I don't skip something. When I make a new recipe, I usually half it and follow exactly before tweaking it "for next time".
At my house, the cook doesn't clean the kitchen...

tropit 10-13-2021 05:48 AM

What's the one thing that I really know about cooking? That my husband won't do it and if he does, his food is so terrible, I would never ask him again to make another meal.

Gawd! He's so spoiled!

bearisgray 10-13-2021 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8513307)
What's the one thing that I really know about cooking? That my husband won't do it and if he does, his food is so terrible, I would never ask him again to make another meal.

Gawd! He's so spoiled!

Mine has gotten better -

When we were first married, if the house were on fire - he would want me to "fix a bite to eat" for him before we could exit.

He's actually can put together food now.

I still mind, though, when he tells me what temperature I should use for cooking a roast!