Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/frozen-201-singer-sewing-machine-t316895.html)

Christine- 11-21-2021 06:31 PM

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

I am in the process of breathing new life into a 1951 Singer 201 that sat unused for 30+ years. I'm slathering oil on it and waiting a day or two before oiling again. ALL the moving parts jiggle slightly and I mean all of the parts move ever so slightly. My question is, is it possible that the potted motor is what is keeping it from moving? I'm wondering what it could be keeping it from moving fully. Thank you in advance for any advice you can share! (Now back to the oil bottle...)

Hooligan 11-22-2021 04:22 AM

Yes, the potted motors can be the cause of a lock-up. Usually it's old hard compacted grease that has set around the worm gear :thumbup: Most potted motor need a full service/rewire ;)

Christine- 11-22-2021 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hooligan (Post 8521124)
Yes, the potted motors can be the cause of a lock-up. Usually it's old hard compacted grease that has set around the worm gear :thumbup: Most potted motor need a full service/rewire ;)

Thank you for the reply Hooligan. There isn't much compacted grease on the worm gear but there is some there. I was able to chip it away, leaving just what was stuck where the worm gears meet. I may need to find someone in my area who works on these beauties.

bkay 11-22-2021 05:28 AM

I've not had the "pleasure" of working on a 201 that is locked up, but did free up a 401 a couple of years ago. I used kerosene (unscented lamp oil from Walmart) and 90% alcohol to free it up. It was obvious that it was dried up oil, though. I would stay away from the alcohol with a black machine. I used strips of old t-shirts, twine, cotton balls, q-tips and anything I could find to clean away the gunk in any place that moved. I soaked up my excess kerosene with paper towels under the joint. I used forceps to get into the places I couldn't reach. All and all, it took 3 or 4 cleanings before everything freed up. Then, I started with oil.

Good luck.

bkay

edit: I have a gorgeous 15-91 that is locked up to do soon. It looks like it's never been used.

Christine- 11-22-2021 05:34 AM

Thank you bkay! I'm going to keep at it. It is definitely worth the time to get these machines working again!

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8521141)
I've not had the "pleasure" of working on a 201 that is locked up, but did free up a 401 a couple of years ago. I used kerosene (unscented lamp oil from Walmart) and 90% alcohol to free it up. It was obvious that it was dried up oil, though. I would stay away from the alcohol with a black machine, though. I used strips of old t-shirts, twine, cotton balls, q-tips and anything I could find to clean away the gunk in any place that moved. I soaked up my excess kerosene with paper towels under the joint. I used forceps to get into the places I couldn't reach. All and all, it took 3 or 4 cleanings before everything freed up. Then, I started with oil.

Good luck.

bkay

edit: I have a gorgeous 15-91 that is locked up to do soon. It looks like it's never been used.

Hooligan 11-22-2021 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 8521138)
Thank you for the reply Hooligan. There isn't much compacted grease on the worm gear but there is some there. I was able to chip it away, leaving just what was stuck where the worm gears meet. I may need to find someone in my area who works on these beauties.

Usually needs a complete strip down to remove all old grease residue from around the armature shaft, etc. I do like the potted motors indeed, use them on a daily basis :thumbup: Full service on it and it should be good to go, just make sure commutator isn't worn ;)

leonf 11-22-2021 09:14 AM

It takes a lot of torque to get those potted motors, off. Be sure you have a screwdriver that fits. or a ratchet with a screwdriver bit.
For those of you who haven't seen them, This is how the motor looks. Gears were camera shy. picture in nest post

leonf 11-22-2021 09:15 AM

Told you so.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...738-621659.jpg

Christine- 11-22-2021 10:36 AM

Thank you Leon, that is my next step. I was hoping it would be the gears, something easily cleaned but alas... it's the next on my list to get to. What has me stumped is the machine does move slightly. All the parts jiggle in place.

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8521183)
It takes a lot of torque to get those potted motors, off. Be sure you have a screwdriver that fits. or a ratchet with a screwdriver bit.
For those of you who haven't seen them, This is how the motor looks. Gears were camera shy. picture in nest post

Hooligan 11-22-2021 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 8521199)
What has me stumped is the machine does move slightly. All the parts jiggle in place.

Do you mean when you try the balance wheel, it kinda rocks back & forth slightly? If so, then from my experience this is caused by hardened grease around the worm gear, bushings, etc. Quick way to find out if the motor is the cause is simply remove the motor housing (those two screws Leon mentioned), internals should now spin freely ;)

ps: i suspect hardened grease :thumbup: