Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Near tears. Please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/near-tears-please-help-t316988.html)

Jlhoeting 12-04-2021 01:05 PM

Near tears. Please help

I have a brand new Brother PQ 1500 SL. It straight stitches great. When I try to fmq or use a ruler, it consistently skips stitches. This has been going on for days and I don’t know if it’s me or her. I’ve used aurifil 50 wt and coats and cotton that is straight wound. I’ve used a size 14 and a size 16 needle. I’ve cleaned, rethreaded, etc. I’m using a Dreamstitch High shank ruler.

Iceblossom 12-04-2021 01:40 PM

I'm sorry I don't know your exact machine but I understand the frustrations!

Did the machine ever work correctly for you? I know you have already done the obvious but when I have the sort of thing where "it was all working just fine the other day" that a really thorough cleaning of the bobbin casing and general area can magically make things better. Even a new needle can have a flaw, or we can create the same flaws by our actions and motions.

I describe my Bernina as cranky and notice that it seems to really be impacted by humidity changes. There are days when I can just sit down and sew (which is what I expect) and days when that is simply not going to happen. Even when all I want to do is straight stitch, sometimes I work with my zigzag to get the tensions right for that, and then switch and see if it holds for the straight stitch.

What is the fabric/project like? I find I get a lot of skipped stitches on batiks and finely woven fabrics and get better results with a microtex point, other than that I use universal needles but do go up to 14+ for the quilting. This year I have a lot of tops ready to go and I will be trying different types of needles to see if I can tell much difference.

Tartan 12-04-2021 01:48 PM

Most often skipped stitches are because you are not moving the sandwich smoothly. Are you feed dogs down so you can move the sandwich well? Are you wearing Machinger gloves or similar as they help to move the sandwich also. It isn’t the end of the world if you can’t FMQ. You can straight line quilt or use the serpentine stitch to do rows down your quilt.

sewingpup 12-04-2021 01:57 PM

Have you done fmq and ruler work before? umm...just trying to think. The aurifil thread is cross wound so it should be on the horizontal thread shaft with the thread coming off the top I believe, the Coats and clark I believe is straight wound so that should be on the vertical spool shaft. Do you have foam pads on the spool shafts also? Those make the threads unwind smoother I believe. With the ruler, make sure you are not pushing the ruler against the needle as that will deflect the needle slightly and throw the timing off a tad because of the needle deflection and that will cause a skipped stitch. I assume you do not have stitch regulator on your machine? You might want to try either slowing down how fast you are moving the fabric or speeding up your machine. If you are moving your fabric too fast and the machine is stitching too slowly, it may mean your needle does not have time to clear the fabric before it is moved too far away and the needle ends up getting deflected again causing a broken thread or a skipped stitch. similar, if you stop moving the fabric to think about where you are going, make sure you stop the machine too or it will stitch in place, make a knot and break. Again, I don't know if you have experience with fmq sorry if I am saying things you already know. It takes practice to fmq.
Do you have a ruler foot on the machine?

Stitchnripper 12-04-2021 02:50 PM

I have two of those machines. The ruler foot itself makes things tricky. The foot has to be just the Right distance from the fabric sandwich. I tried the Westalee foot and could never get it adjusted properly. Then I got the two piece Janome set for their high shank. I think it is a 1600. You need the two part set. No more skipped stitches. But ruler work does need some practice.

Gay 12-04-2021 03:07 PM

I too thought of the height of the foot, and although I don't have that particular machine I know several Janome parts will fit Brother machines.

Jlhoeting 12-04-2021 03:21 PM

Thanks everyone! I’ve been at this for more than a decade with multiple machines, but this is the first one that has not been computerized. I will try all the different tips and report back I will definitely look into the Janome 2 piece foot.

quiltedsunshine 12-04-2021 06:48 PM

I've found that a polyester thread behaves better than cotton, when doing free-motion or ruler work.

Krisb 12-04-2021 11:41 PM

Do you have the thread through all three holes on the thread guide? Sometimes I use 2, sometimes 3. That seems to make a difference. Otherwise, if the top and bottom tension are OK with the normal foot, you might need to move the ruler foot a tad closer to the top. My Janome 1600P was a struggle until I got the adjustable ruler foot. And it only likes polyester thread.

it is a big adjustment going from a standard domestic to a high speed straight stitch only. Each of my machine can be used to do FMQ or ruler work, but each has its own quirks.

Watson 12-05-2021 04:07 AM

The foot should just skim the fabric as it goes through, otherwise you will get skipped stitches or even broken thread.

Watson