Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Use a Boogie Board? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-use-boogie-board-t317178.html)

Charle 12-28-2021 05:52 PM

Anyone Use a Boogie Board?

Anyone have experience using a boogie board tablet to doodle and/or try out motifs for quilting? Thinking of buying one but wondered if it would be another purchase I wouldn’t really use.

LifeLovePassion 12-28-2021 06:24 PM

I was just thinking of getting out one my girls got for a road trip we went on a few years ago to practice FMQ. We have an off brand one from Amazon. The screen isn't very bright but it would serve the purpose. It was in the $15 price range versus the real ones I think were around 40 at the time.

Peckish 12-28-2021 07:41 PM

I use a dry erase board.

thimblebug6000 12-28-2021 09:29 PM

Lorikennedyquilts.com did a quilt-along and she talked about using one. if you go to her site and type in boogie board to the search it should bring up her posting from December 2017. maybe you will find something helpful there.

Sewgood 12-29-2021 06:13 AM

I've always thought it was best to use a spiral bound notebook. Two reasons (may be more but I haven't finished my coffee yet...).
One - you will have a record of what you've drawn....ideas you can build on later and so forth
Two - you can look back and see how far you've come...
Oh - three - so cheap! And available everywhere.

SuzSLO 12-29-2021 06:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wasn’t familiar with the product, but it looks like you can insert a sheet of paper in the tablet, then mark on top of that. If you print a photo of your quilt top or block, this should certainly work to try out quilting designs. I use my iPad with Apple Pencil in the Photos app to try out quilting designs and the Grid in the Notes app to practice doodling the design. I have attached examples of both.

juliasb 12-29-2021 07:05 AM

I buy boogie boards all the time for my autistic grandson. His life revolves around his boogie boards and he wears them out quickly. For us they are worth every penny. They are a great tool for doodling and making notes on. They come in a variety of makes and sizes all of which I believe we have used at one time or another. My daughter recently reported a manufacturing design in on of the boards and the company sent her a whole box of different sizes for her son to enjoy.
Now most people do not use them 24/7 like my grandson who falls asleep and wakes up with his board. They wear well under normal usage. and many different models have replaceable batteries. There are knock offs of the Boogie Board and I don't recommend as they wear out in short order.
I don't know that they would be the best for gridding or making a quilt as the moment you touch the top of the board it will leave a mark and that mark does not leave unless you erase the entire screen. It is a screen with the ability to draw on the top. Several color areas are built into the screen. You cannot change the location or size of those colored areas. You cannot put paper on the top and mark your design into as it has to have direct contact with the tool, a plastic ended cheap, drawing instrument. My grandson chews them up all the time and then uses something else to mark with that is plastic. I don't know I would not find them ideal for quilt pattern or FMQ designing. Paper is best IMO.

sewbizgirl 12-29-2021 01:45 PM

I've never heard of these... for drawing. The only Boogie Board I am familiar with is the kind you ride on your tummy for surfing.

RedGarnet222 12-29-2021 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8527578)
I've never heard of these... for drawing. The only Boogie Board I am familiar with is the kind you ride on your tummy for surfing.

Me too sewbizgirl We used to go water sking alot and the kids loved those boogie boards.

AngelaS 12-29-2021 07:08 PM

Yes! My girls used them a lot in our homeschool and they are fun to doodle on and practice designs.