Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuffing a quilt - a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuffing-quilt-question-t317244.html)

Gemm 01-03-2022 12:11 PM

Stuffing a quilt - a question

We got some new mattress covers (mattress pads/mattress protectors) and I'm looking at the old ones that are tired but not nasty, and wondering if they can be used as batting for utility-type quilts. Has anyone reused a mattress pad in this way? Any observations or advice? I machine quilt so working a needle through the layers shouldn't be an issue for me, anyway. I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Iceblossom 01-03-2022 12:41 PM

When I was starting and learning about machine quilting one of the standard remarks was "you don't want it to end up like a mattress pad." But there are mattress pads and there are mattress pads and I think you could be just fine. I would think they would be easy to work with, watch for the weight and stiffness.

I have used blankets, both knitted acrylic type as well as green wool army blankets as battings, as well as encasing entire old quilts with lots of love and memories between a new top and bottom.

peaceandjoy 01-03-2022 05:47 PM

A group I work with to make quilts for the needy uses pretty much anything and everything. We have used mattress pads. They vary quite a bit, depending on both quality and what they are made of. Some are very hard to get a needle through, others are lovely.

We've also used blankets of just about every kind, including electric blankets with the wires pulled out!

Peckish 01-04-2022 11:26 AM

I think it depends on the mattress pad. I have one on our bed that is thin and would be an ok substitute for batting. However, my mom has a mattress pad on her bed that is so thick, it's more like a comforter. I can't imagine being able to quilt it, even on my longarm. That's how thick and fluffy it is.

juliasb 01-04-2022 12:22 PM

I have not used a mattress pad to bat a quilt but I have used a number of different battings from blankets to old quilts. My quilting has changed over the years and now I use either us 100% cotton or am 80/20, I would say go for it. Have fun quilting a lovely quilt.

Karamarie 01-04-2022 02:39 PM

I have used mattress pads a few times and they worked well, especially in a quilt that will be used a lot.

Gemm 01-04-2022 08:22 PM

Thanks for all of the input, people! I trimmed off the "fitted" part of one which was torn (and the main reason for replacing it) and am realizing that it will make a rather puffy batting. I think I will probably put it away for now but can see the potential for a new life for it one day. It's been so great to have a community to throw questions out to - much appreciated. :-)

WMUTeach 01-05-2022 04:15 AM

I could see this more "puffy" look and feel might be good for stadium blanket or blanket/cushion to watching sporting events, marching band competitions or just sitting outside to watch the world go by.

Sandra-P 01-05-2022 04:25 AM

Great and timely question! We just bought a new bed and our former king sized mattress pad is still in good shape but we cant use it anymore because we got a split king now. I washed it and was wondering the same thing. Too good to toss out but what to do with it. I am always wanting to try something different so I think I will use it as the batting in a quilt and "tie" the quilt the old fashioned way rather than quilt it on a machine. It is not terribly puffy, what a great way to reuse.

SusieQOH 01-05-2022 05:47 AM

Gemm, that never occurred to me. Great idea! A great recycle solution.