Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What a difference this made🥰 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-difference-made-t317552.html)

copycat 02-13-2022 09:13 AM

What a difference this made🥰

1 Attachment(s)
I put a post it note on my new rotary blade case with the date that I put in the new blade.
I went from 7-18-21 to 2-13-22 with the same blade. I am not a prolific quilter as I work full time.
I change to a new blade at the first sign of areas of uncut fabric. Now back to my cutting with my pristine new blade.
Oh one more thing... what do you do with your Old rotary blades? Thank you

Tartan 02-13-2022 09:36 AM

It will cut like butter….until you hit your first pin. I have an old rotary cutter that I keep old blades for, for cutting paper and card stock.

bearisgray 02-13-2022 09:55 AM

I put my old blades in the plastic container the new ones came in - but I have " used" written on the top and bottom of the container.

SallyS 02-13-2022 09:59 AM

I have a tall pill bottle from the pharmacy where I put old rotary blades and bent pins. I cut a small hole in the lid so I can drop pins in easily, but remove the lid for blades. It's transparent so I can see when it's full and it's safe to handle.

kristijoy 02-13-2022 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by SallyS (Post 8537046)
I have a tall pill bottle from the pharmacy where I put old rotary blades and bent pins. I cut a small hole in the lid so I can drop pins in easily, but remove the lid for blades. It's transparent so I can see when it's full and it's safe to handle.

This is a great idea!

Gemm 02-13-2022 10:28 AM

I also keep my old blades in one of the cases the new ones come in. I also write "used" on the case as well as the blade (it's generally pretty obvious, but I sometimes need help seeing the obvious. :-))

QuiltE 02-13-2022 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8537042)
It will cut like butter….until you hit your first pin. I have an old rotary cutter that I keep old blades for, for cutting paper and card stock.

''Totally agree .... dates really tell us nothing, as to when we need to change a blade. Old worn cutting mats can impede the "cut like butter" ability. Just got a new cutting mat and oh what a difference it makes to the ease of cutting and how long my blades will now last!

Like Tartan, I keep a rotary cutter with an old blade and marked as such. Works great for paper and such.

Used blades, pins, needles all go into a piggy bank that just happened to have the right slot size for the blades to go through. It'll be a long time before it will need emptying. Only wish I had put a date on as to when I started it, just for curiosity's sake! :)

EasyPeezy 02-13-2022 11:53 AM

If you chain piecing...there's a gadget for cutting thread and it's called Blade Saver.
You can use it with your old blades. Comes in 2 sizes for 45mm and 60mm blades.

ibex94 02-13-2022 02:39 PM

I put them in an altoid tin.

rryder 02-13-2022 03:34 PM

I sharpen them. When they can no longer be sharpened, they get put in an old parmesan cheese container- I've yet to fill it.

Rob