Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   English Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/english-paper-piecing-t317707.html)

kristijoy 03-05-2022 11:14 AM

English Paper Piecing

I've been experimenting with English Paper Piecing (my first time) for the last few days. I have some questions?

How do you keep your stitches tight? I have 'gaps' between each piece when I open them up after I stitch them. I've tried a fine thread and a clear plastic thread. I'm thinking to move to regular sewing thread that matches in color.

What type of thread do you use?

How about the 'stitch' itself? Do you use the classic whip stitch? Or another method? I experimented with the 'feather stitch' a little too...

Any other insights?

Thanks!

cashs_mom 03-05-2022 11:20 AM

I've had the same problem. I've tried using many stitches. YouTube has a lot of tutorials for different ones. The ladder stitch was really invisible, but i had trouble keeping it tight. I finally settled on one where you lay the 2 pieces flat and put wide tape behind them and then stitch. It worked best for me, but everyone has their own favorite. I used regular sewing thread at first but it was a bit hard to hide. Finer Aurafil worked better for me.

Dedemac 03-05-2022 11:29 AM

I just use matching colors to the fabric and a small whip stitch catching only 2 or 3 threads. But have about 9 to 12 stitches per inch.

Peckish 03-05-2022 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I really didn't like how the whip stitch turned out. Stitches were always visible. I did the ladder stitch for a while, but like you, found the stitching to be somewhat loose. It helped to tighten and knot the thread at every intersection.
My most recent "EPP" project, however, I did a little differently. I marked the seam lines on the back of the fabrics (very carefully and accurately :D ) and sewed them by machine. Because I had to take my time, stop sewing 1/4" from the edge instead of sewing off the edge, and be very careful to make sure points matched, etc, it wasn't any faster than sewing by hand. But I was pleased with the quality of the finished product.

LogCabin82 03-05-2022 04:58 PM

I use hand quilting thread (coats & clark) and a whip stitch. I find if I do two knots at each end of my hexies, I don't get as much of a gap...

https://i.ibb.co/Gn9JZd0/Screen-Shot...7-57-33-PM.png

Mumto2 03-05-2022 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use Gutterman hand quilting thread. My quality improved vastly when I switched to this thread ...... really any hand quilting thread because now I think about it I have used the Coats and Clark kind with success too. I prefer to whip stitch although the ladder stitch works if you start close to the end, go to the end, reverse to the other side. At end you need to go back a few stitches. I also thread baste instead of glue. It gives me a bit of wiggle room because I hand cut my papers, this way my points match. I recently finished my latest project so this is all I have to show.....

LAF2019 03-05-2022 06:31 PM

I find that any cotton thread works fine for me. anything that has a bit of a slick feel to it like a polyester does not stay tight. i do a regular whipstitch and just keep them close together. I also do two double stitches at the corners (I don't know what that is actually called, but i pull my needle through the loop of the whipstitch to make it more secure).

kristijoy 03-05-2022 06:43 PM

You all are awesome! Such great advice. I'm going to try some more this evening.

Mumto2: Love the stars...I was hoping to make something just like that!
LogCabin: thanks for the great photo. I've been using some glue...ugh...not my favorite. I will definitely try the thread basting!
Peggi: what a beautiful wedding ring like project!

LogCabin82 03-06-2022 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy (Post 8541173)
You all are awesome! Such great advice. I'm going to try some more this evening.

Mumto2: Love the stars...I was hoping to make something just like that!
LogCabin: thanks for the great photo. I've been using some glue...ugh...not my favorite. I will definitely try the thread basting!
Peggi: what a beautiful wedding ring like project!

I like the glue but I don't like how it gets all over my fingers. There's a lady in the UK who made this gadget so that you don't have to touch the glue when you fold, but she charges like $60 for it and you could probably make your own. There's another lady from the UK that thinks that hand basting is as fast as gluing. I've just been trying to find some places not to far away from me where they have hand sewing groups because I think it would be fun to bring my project along. :)

LogCabin82 03-06-2022 08:26 AM

I love the Stitch Sisters :) English Paper Piecing

This is the video of the UK lady using a device so you don't have to touch the glue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWBrXJYCht4. If we can figure out what material she uses for not touching the glue, it would probably be easy to make.