Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to handle usable scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-handle-usable-scraps-t318058.html)

berrynice 04-24-2022 12:48 PM

How to handle usable scraps

I normally don't save scraps. Lately I have been working with 2.5" strips and have a lot of scraps that are definitely usable. I've been taking out the seams from leftover after sewing 2 - 3 strips together and then making cuts for the patterns and then cutting the smaller ones into 2.5" squares and the larger ones into 4" and some a little larger. But, honestly, just looking at them, I know that I'm probably never going to use them. It is at the point that with the quilt that I am making now, that I really don't even want to take the time to rip out the seams of the leftover scraps that I just finished having left over from cutting 3 strips sewn together.

The thing is, I really don't feel right just tossing them in the trash. So, what do I do with them. I'm afraid that if I just drop them off to goodwill or the like, they will just toss them as well, or do they sell them in their stores? I don't have anyone really close by that I know of that sews that I can give them too, either.

I tried giving yarn away one time (a lot of good yarn) and after calling churches, assisted living places, schools, a girls club, etc I got tired of getting a funky 'why are you even asking us' attitude. It was definitely out of my comfort zone, being an introvert to begin with. I don't even want to try that avenue with fabric scraps.

So what do I do with them? Up until now, I've just been tossing my scraps, but for some reason, I just can't seem to with these. Especially after reading so many posts about scraps quilts, which I know even with the scraps, I have no desire to make.

berrynice 04-24-2022 01:15 PM

Please ignore post, I have found a solution! :thumbup: And best of all, no postage costs!

Gay 04-24-2022 01:24 PM

You won't have to undo your leftovers if you make these blocks, square or crazy. In a way I find doing this relaxing, but so far haven't gotten rid of my scraps.

Crumb quilts

or this one

MSQC scrappy

suern3 04-24-2022 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by berrynice (Post 8548890)
Please ignore post, I have found a solution! :thumbup: And best of all, no postage costs!

Would you mind sharing your solution? I am also looking for a good use of my scraps. and was hoping to find some suggestions.

berrynice 04-24-2022 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8548895)
Would you mind sharing your solution? I am also looking for a good use of my scraps. and was hoping to find some suggestions.

When I mentioned that I wanted to find a home for the leftovers, a friend who homeschools wanted them for their kids for arts and crafts projects.

lindaschipper 04-25-2022 02:57 AM

Ohhhhh! That looks like so much fun to me. Now I have to order those Crazy Quilt Templates....LOL

ptquilts 04-25-2022 03:15 AM

In my area we have a couple of FB groups for re-homing or asking for free stuff - they are great!

sandy l 04-25-2022 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by berrynice (Post 8548911)
When I mentioned that I wanted to find a home for the leftovers, a friend who homeschools wanted them for their kids for arts and crafts projects.

SOs daughter is a art teacher at a middle school and she takes all of my scrap box for projects.

SusieQOH 04-25-2022 06:44 AM

I have a set of templates similar to the ones Jenny uses in that video. They are so much fun to use. I have a WIP right now and pick it up whenever I just feel like mindless sewing.
I can take a pic of it when I get in my sewing room. I forgot where I got them or even the name of them.

Polliwog 04-25-2022 07:49 AM

Meals on Wheels gratefully and gracefully accepts placemat donations. Many local quilt groups coordinate this distribution. For you, trying out a new pattern or color options and then finishing the design out in placemat size is a plus.