Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone used the Creative Grids Pineapple ruler? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-used-creative-grids-pineapple-ruler-t318245.html)

SusieQOH 05-15-2022 06:56 AM

Has anyone used the Creative Grids Pineapple ruler?

Hi everyone,
I bought it a number of years ago and would like to make it.
Anything special I should know? Her video looks easy enough
but I'm sure I could find something to screw up lol.

greaterexp 05-16-2022 04:56 AM

I've had that ruler for a while, but still haven't used it. I plan on trying it out with scraps first to work out any kinks before trying it on anything I really don't want to mess up.

Snooze2978 05-16-2022 04:59 AM

Same here, I have the ruler and have yet to use it and I love the pineapple block too.

tallchick 05-16-2022 06:04 AM

I have not used the Pineapple ruler yet, I did use the Log Cabin ruler (similar principal , lots of rounds) and after using it for a bit it becomes easier and more intuitive. I am a Creative Grids ruler junkie! I think you will be just fine, pull up a YouTube video for the first few blocks and you’ll be a pro in no time.

Mkotch 05-17-2022 02:13 AM

I have a log cabin ruler, but I find it unwieldy and have gone back to simply cutting strips and cutting them to fit after sewing. I've been making a pineapple quilt using 6" squares for the last two years. I do a few blocks each month, otherwise I'd go nuts. I bought foundation papers from the Fat Quarter Shop, which sells them in 6" and 12" size. IMHO, pineapple quilts are best made using foundation paper piecing. I expect to finish my quilt in another year (or two!).

lindaschipper 05-17-2022 02:56 AM

Count me in as another that owns the ruler but has yet to use it. Wonder why so many of us have hesitated to going ahead and making at least a couple of blocks? I'll have to add this to my list of four patch blocks, scrappy green strips, garlic knots and others to make just a few at a time.

Lena1952 05-17-2022 03:15 AM

I just took a class at my local quilt shop and this was the most fun I've had in a class in a long time. The ruler is well thought out and makes it easy. I made four blocks during the class and several more at home. The ruler says to cut your fabrics 1 3/4" - 2" wide but 1 1/2" wide strips worked just fine. I don't the video explains that the dashed lines on the ruler are used for keeping your block squared up as you cut, or if they did I missed that part. I used all scraps of neutrals and a darks were a mix of everything in the color basket. I honestly found making the blocks addictive! I was apprehensive about the class since I had tried the Log Cabin Trim tool and found it difficult and honestly not worth the bother but I love the Pineapple ruler.

stitch678 05-17-2022 05:19 AM

I have ( l make it a point to use any new tool right away to test it). I found it a bit confusing at first. You really need to pay attention to which " center" you line up to for trimming. Keep the instruction pamphlet handy, and you'll do fine. I keep my instructions in a baggie with the ruler on my pegboard. I have recently bought the small octagon one, and will test today.

Pat M. 05-22-2022 09:53 AM

I made a Halloween quilt with the ruler. It was fun to make and very easy. Just follow the pattern on the ruler.

SusieQOH 05-22-2022 12:20 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'm excited to try mine out.