Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Does this count? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/does-count-t318248.html)

JoeJr 05-15-2022 11:43 AM

Does this count?

2 Attachment(s)
I've never seen an original Singer hand crank in person, and I'm wondering if this Sewhandy 40 counts?? One of my enablers, er I mean sisters, brought me this to clean up for a friend of hers who used it as a child. I opened it up, and I don't think the pink birds nest is factory original (I was wondering why it was so difficult to turn).

Unfortunately it is missing the entire hook assembly underneath the needle plate, so I've reached a stopping point unless/until I find a replacement.

JoeJr 05-15-2022 11:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And I have these other two chain stitch machines, a Sewhandy 50 (given to me by the same enabler) and a Sew-Rite (given to me by my other enabler, er I mean, sister.

The 50 came with no thread tensioner parts at all, except the post. The disks came from a donor Touch & Sew, which has much smaller tension disks than black Singers. The Sew-Rite has a nice foot peddle and even has a stitch length control lever in the front; I also really like the diminutive sewing machine motor on it.

JoeJr 05-15-2022 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally, if you all will indulge the non-vintageness, I found this machine in a local Goodwill for $3.67 and couldn't resist. It is a battery operated lock stitch machine using class 15 bobbins; it came with no needle. Mysteriously enough it did not work when I plugged it in. Using jumper wires I could make the motor turn, so it wasn't that. I ended up eliminating the Hi/Lo (really Lo/Lo-er) and On/Off buttons; the foot pedal completes the circuit for the motor.

Once the motor was turning it was time to test it. I assumed a 15x1 needle, but could not make stitches. I tried a shorter needle, a cc1221, and was able to make stitches, ugly stitches, but stitches nonetheless. I could not resolve myself though to this having been engineered to take a mostly obsolete needle, so back apart it went to check the timing. Turns out the timing on this works about the same as any other machine. I loosened the red-circled screws and was able to move that vertical shaft allowing me to turn the lower horizontal shaft to adjust the timing. I did all this with a 15x1 needle in place, and finally made it work...then the batteries died. The next step will be to wire in an AC adapter.

ibex94 05-15-2022 04:15 PM

lol. Get em, JoeJr!!

QuiltMom2 05-16-2022 04:25 AM

Wow. Those little machines sure are cute!

QuiltBaer 05-16-2022 04:48 AM

Love seeing the machines.

greaterexp 05-16-2022 04:59 AM

I'm tickled pink that you got these machines and know how to fix them! Aren't they fun?

leonf 05-19-2022 07:40 AM

Your sew rite reminds me of Dolly Madisons.

JoeJr 05-19-2022 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr (Post 8552019)
Unfortunately it is missing the entire hook assembly underneath the needle plate, so I've reached a stopping point unless/until I find a replacement.

I have this part on the way, the seller called the missing part a looper, which sounds correct given that it's a chain stitch machine.

OurWorkbench 05-19-2022 06:20 PM

:thumbup:

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.