Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   quilts for cats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilts-cats-t318559.html)

Quilting Raven 06-25-2022 11:41 PM

quilts for cats

1 Attachment(s)
I’m thinking that I should just make quilts for cats. At least they appreciate and use them. I just found out last night that the king sized quilt (the only one I have ever finished and on a Brother pq1500) and gifted to my brother for Christmas was destroyed. He is currently going through a divorce. He moved out temporarily while she sought other living arrangements. Now that she is out he found she threw it onto the back porch where his dog (an English Mastiff) used it for a restroom because she also did not let the dog outside regularly. I don’t really object to the dog sleeping on it, it’s the restroom portion I find offensive.

In the meantime at home Jazz is helping me bind another UFO.

rjwilder 06-26-2022 03:51 AM

That happens all often, my guild makes charity quilts for children. We recently found out the agency we were giving them to was selling them. I've decided to make cat and dog mats for my local shelter, they always need them and appreciate them.

bearisgray 06-26-2022 04:08 AM

Quilting Raven - are you (or your brother) able to wash it up enough to be able to use it? Heartbreaking -

rjwilder - what did they do with the proceeds of the quilt sales? Did they sell them for enough to "make it worthwhie?" As in several hundred dollars compared to $20 or something like that. If the agency sold the quilts "for a lot" - then perhaps they could get funds for other things needed. If not - well - "forget them!!!"

Karamarie 06-26-2022 05:09 AM

I'm very careful as to whom I give quilts. Some just don't appreciate them and won't care for them. This is from past experiences.

Tartan 06-26-2022 06:33 AM

That is heart breaking for you but it pales in comparison to your poor brother’s situation with that witch!

Quilting Raven 06-26-2022 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8556985)
That is heart breaking for you but it pales in comparison to your poor brother’s situation with that witch!

Yes the quilt is minor compared to other issues. He was not prepared for a divorce. She was having some neurological issues he convinced her to go to the Dr. they wanted her to get an MRI. She apparently decided she wanted a divorce instead. He said he wasn’t even thinking in that direction. They had been having issues for awhile though and I’m sure as with anything it was likely both their faults.

It is my understanding that the quilt is beyond saving. I’ll consider making him another one, maybe in a few years. He has always been very interested in music so the quilt I had given him was all fabric with musical instruments and notes. It was a black/white/gray with purple accents done in a disappearing nine patch pattern. I’m sure I couldn’t get all those fabrics again if I tried.

Either way after I did his I swore I was not doing another king until I got a long arm. It took me 6-8 weeks to quilt and some of those days I worked 6-8 hours a day to finish it. My other brother also wants a king and it has been sitting in a box for 3 years fully pieced because the first king traumatized me.

bearisgray 06-26-2022 10:56 AM

How about making him a "couch size" quilt for him? I consider "couch size" to be about 65 x 85. I could wrestle that through my machine (all I do is straight line or stitch in the ditch)

Quilting Raven 06-26-2022 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8557020)
How about making him a "couch size" quilt for him? I consider "couch size" to be about 65 x 85. I could wrestle that through my machine (all I do is straight line or stitch in the ditch)

I may do something like that, probably not this year. I’m a bit annoyed with him. More annoyed with his soon to be ex, but he is not blameless. Like I stated earlier a quilt, even a handmade one, is less important than other issues, but if he left it behind it obviously didn’t matter enough to him.

dunster 06-26-2022 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Raven (Post 8557010)
<snip>
Either way after I did his I swore I was not doing another king until I got a long arm. It took me 6-8 weeks to quilt and some of those days I worked 6-8 hours a day to finish it. My other brother also wants a king and it has been sitting in a box for 3 years fully pieced because the first king traumatized me.

Just a suggestion - explain the circumstances to your brother and offer him the opportunity to pay a longarmer to finish the quilt. Or learn to machine quilt in sections. It's a shame to have a top sitting in a box for that long.

Quilting Raven 06-26-2022 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8557058)
Just a suggestion - explain the circumstances to your brother and offer him the opportunity to pay a longarmer to finish the quilt. Or learn to machine quilt in sections. It's a shame to have a top sitting in a box for that long.

The second quilt is for a different brother. He got a handmade afghan in his favorite colors. He will likely get that top this year because I bought a used longarm this year. It’s a 10 ft table though so I’m going to have to think about quilting it in sections.