Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Project Liinus in Thrift Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/project-liinus-thrift-store-t318593.html)

lindaschipper 06-29-2022 05:21 AM

Project Liinus in Thrift Store

Yesterday while out and about I had time to kill so I stopped in Salvation Army just to look around. Checking out the linens for anything I could use as a quilt backing I spied a cute little girls quilt. Pinks with BEAUTIFUL machine quilting. I was then shocked to see a Project Linus tag sewn to the backside of it. Why would a parent give it away? Didn't the child want to snuggle with it? It wasn't to the parents liking? Had the child out grown it? It wasn't worn, torn or tatered. In all the quilts I've sewn for this organization I never once considered one ending up in a thrift shop. I'm still mystified....and a little heart-broken.

KalamaQuilts 06-29-2022 05:37 AM

child probably outgrew it. Donating to thrifts is another way of playing it forward.

SuzSLO 06-29-2022 05:39 AM

I think when you give a gift, you always have to be prepared for the possibility that the recipient won’t like it or won’t use it. Yes, it can break you heart, but you are obviously someone whose heart is so big, that you will still have plenty left to give.

phatquilts2 06-29-2022 05:39 AM

Have been admiring your wonderful quilts !

Perhaps , worst case scenario something happened in the home and the Project Linus quilt was a painful reminder.

Other Ideas , 💡 Quilters

Onebyone 06-29-2022 05:43 AM

There could be many reasons. I see quilts in thrift stores, some seem almost new. I don't see anything wrong in quilts being given to thrift stores. I'd rather a quilt be available to be taken to new home then disposed of.

WMUTeach 06-30-2022 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8557494)
There could be many reasons. I see quilts in thrift stores, some seem almost new. I don't see anything wrong in quilts being given to thrift stores. I'd rather a quilt be available to be taken to new home then disposed of.

A very kind and thoughtful attitude!

rjwilder 06-30-2022 03:18 AM

For whatever reason the quilt landed in the thrift it's better than being used as a dog bed. Another little girl will get to enjoy it now.

Jingle 07-04-2022 03:11 PM

I donate a lot of quilts. When they leave my home I let go. I have high hopes they will be loved and used.

goldsberry921 07-04-2022 03:59 PM

I've picked up a few quilts from thrift stores. I look for a label, but none are on them. I've got 2 receiving blankets but it's more or less as a guide for me when I decide to Subscribe make one. I like to duplicate patterns if it calls out to me.

Peckish 07-04-2022 05:54 PM

I've read about people who find a quilt with a label in a quilt store, hunt down the family, and return it to them. I dread that happening to me some day. I don't want the quilt back and I don't want to know that's where it was found.

My first thought about this Project Linus quilt is maybe the child died, or was adopted, and the family decided to pass the quilt on to someone else because of the memories attached to it.