Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Skepticism toward first automobiles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/skepticism-toward-first-automobiles-t318706.html)

suern3 07-16-2022 01:53 PM

Skepticism toward first automobiles

https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/...t-automobiles/
Thought this article was fitting for the discussion about purchasing a new car with electric vs gas or hybrid but didn't want to hijack that thread. It seems to be human nature that we are suspicious of new ideas and prefer to stick with what we know, good or bad. There are many stories regarding the fear and suspicion that met the gas powered engine. For myself, I'm not sure what I would chose for a new car, probably a hybrid but I'm not in the market right now. I think that the electric vehicle will get better with time and I am not a climate denier for sure.

Tartan 07-16-2022 03:21 PM

Everyone says “ Go Electric,” it’s better for the environment. I want to know where all the electricity is supposed to come from. Hydro electric, well most places are in drought conditions. Anyone building new power plants? Massive solar farms? Where’s the infrastructure and plug ins? Sorry to be a Debbie Downer .

Onebyone 07-17-2022 08:23 AM

I am too tired to change the world. I'll use what is available for me to use whether it is new energy or old. My input at my stage of life has no influence how the future will be.

cashs_mom 07-18-2022 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8559815)
Everyone says “ Go Electric,” it’s better for the environment. I want to know where all the electricity is supposed to come from. Hydro electric, well most places are in drought conditions. Anyone building new power plants? Massive solar farms? Where’s the infrastructure and plug ins? Sorry to be a Debbie Downer .

Excellent questions Tartan. I think it is human nature to be skeptical of new things and I think that that is healthy. It protects you from just going with things that might not be good for you. Just accepting what someone else tells you because they are a supposed authority is rarely a good idea. It can take many tries before something is actually safe and reliable. Even then there are some new things that are great and some that are not so good.

OurWorkbench 07-18-2022 06:56 AM

I'm wondering what happens when there are brownouts or blackouts which seem to making the news recently.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

cashs_mom 07-18-2022 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8560018)
I'm wondering what happens when there are brownouts or blackouts which seem to making the news recently..

I've wondered about that. We recently had an area that was out of electricity from 7 one evening until 8 the next morning.

sewverybusy1 07-19-2022 12:09 AM

I would like to know how many hours to 'recharge' these things. If one is traveling- where are the plugs & are reservations needed???? What is the cost? How many miles will the thing go, or will hills & elevation kick in to reduce ones travel??? How much to get a plug into the garage & will the electric box need to be upgraded? Will marginal electric suppliers- con ed or tva or cal electric really have the capacity to deal with the influx of 'needs'?
So far, many questions & a certain someone high in DC has very little as to answers.
sewverybusy1

cashs_mom 07-19-2022 05:27 AM

My husband was saying that since new batteries for most of the EV's cost upwards of $12,000 and since all of the EV's use specialized batteries, new batteries might not even be available, the cars are probably going to become disposable cars. So that after 10 years, no one will want them and they will be useless which would create a huge mess as far as what becomes of all that plastic and electronics? Talk about a disaster for the environment!

Sewverybusy, as far as travel, I'm thinking the American road trip will be dead. I heard that they had tested one of the new full size trucks and when towing, it got 85 miles per charge. I can't imagine having to stop every 100 miiles and spend an hour or so recharging your vehicle. And what happens when you get to your remote destination? I'm not sure how many chargers you're going to find in the mountains or a park. As far as the chargers for your home, I think one fast charger comes with the vehicle. I have no idea how it's installed or what the capabilities are needed for it. It very well could be that you'll need to upgrade your electric system or at least install a different box. I think the slow chargers work off of your regular electric but take hours to re-charge.

suern3 07-19-2022 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8560018)
I'm wondering what happens when there are brownouts or blackouts which seem to making the news recently.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Interesting question. Makes me wonder if our gas pumps work during a power outage. I think they require electicity.

cashs_mom 07-19-2022 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8560215)
Interesting question. Makes me wonder if our gas pumps work during a power outage. I think they require electicity.

Unless the power outage is wide spread like after a storm, they do work. Even sometimes after a hurricane, the gas stations around us will have operable pumps. The credit card machine usually don't work so you have to use cash, but can get gas. Ordinary brown outs don't affect the pumps. One of the advantages of gas as a fuel is that you can store it. Before a storm we fill up all 5 cars (2 of which are very easy to siphon from) and have enough to last til things come back up. Electricity isn't stored except in the battery of the car and I have no idea how long before those batteries are dead.