Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Requirements for Disappearing Four Patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-requirements-disappearing-four-patch-t318729.html)

Watson 07-19-2022 07:12 AM

Fabric Requirements for Disappearing Four Patch

I am having the most difficult time trying to find out how much fabric I need for this pattern. I am doing the coloured areas of the four patch in scraps, but I need to know how much background to purchase for a queen sized quilt.
Every pattern I can find that gives measurements uses pre-cuts.
I am using 4 - 5" squares to make up each 4 patch.
If any mathemagicians out there can figure it out, I'd sure appreciate it.

Watson

abc123xyz 07-19-2022 07:59 AM

How many pre-cut squares do they list for the background? If they tell you how many squares you need and the size of the squares it should be easy to figure out how much yardage you will need to complete the quilt. It would be helpful if you could list this information.

cjsews 07-19-2022 08:45 AM

If you are using 5” squares, your finished block will be 8”. From that can you figure out how many blocks you need. This will depend on how wide/if you add borders. Then it will be 2 - 5” squares per block.

SueZQ from MN 07-19-2022 12:57 PM

Hopefully, I have it figured out for you. If I follow you correctly, you are using 4 background squares 5" each for a 9 patch block. That requires 1/2 of a strip cut 5" x wof. When the completed 9 patch is cut into quarters, each piece will be 7"x 7" and finish at 6 1/2" x 6 1/2". Determine how many 7" units you want across and multiply that number times the number of 7" units you want going up and down. Divide that number by 4. That will give you the number of 9 patches you need. Divide that number by 2 and you should have the number of 5" wof strips to cut. Is that clear as mud? haha I hope this is right as the first time I had it wrong and had to edit.

Schill93 07-19-2022 03:16 PM

I believe Watson said he/she was making a disappearing 4 patch..

SueZQ from MN 07-19-2022 09:18 PM

I am so sorry. Time for me to get new glasses or reading comprehension lessons!!

lindaschipper 07-20-2022 03:13 AM

I googled Disappearing Four Patch and saw where Jenny Doan has a video for making one. Could you watch and estimate by her size how much it would take for a queen?

Rhonda K 07-20-2022 03:49 AM

You can probably cut 8 quantity of 5 inch squares across the WOF.

You use 2 squares of background and 2 squares of scraps for each 4 Patch block. Each WOF background cut would make 4 blocks of 4 patches.

For a yard of material, you should get about 7 rows of the 5 inch squares (8 quantity across). This equals 56 quantity of 5 inch squares or 28 blocks of 4 patches.

We don't know the size of quilt. You may want to oversize the quilt if it needs to fit a certain size bed. A queen quilt may shrink about 5-7 inches in the first wash.

PS: Hope all the math and calculations are right or at least a close estimate.

Tartan 07-20-2022 04:06 AM

When I have a pattern that uses a lot of background fabric, I figure what I would need to cover the whole surface area with the background fabric. Yes, you will have extra fabric but I just use it up on the back or add it to my stash.

quiltsfor 07-20-2022 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8560293)
When I have a pattern that uses a lot of background fabric, I figure what I would need to cover the whole surface area with the background fabric. Yes, you will have extra fabric but I just use it up on the back or add it to my stash.

When I use a plain (mostly bone, type of white, or black) for background fabric, this is exactly what I do as well. I'm always needing to refresh my stash for these colors for background and like to keep a lot on hand. I usually buy them by the bolt, especially when they are on sale, whether I need it at the moment or not, keeping at least a 1/2 to full bolt on hand.