Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas about type of machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-about-type-machine-t318752.html)

lisadozsew 07-22-2022 03:56 PM

Ideas about type of machine

Hello all- I am in a kerfluffle and have gone back and forth so many times that I feel like I am on a merry go round! Lol After a quilting hiatus due to breast cancer, I decided to get back to quilting. I cut out a quilt for a gift and my Baby Lock Quest plus ( barely used ) has a flat line on the computer screen . 😬 I was so upset and took it to a repair shop and am not very optimistic I will get it back in my lifetime - just kidding. He thinks it is the motherboard but has not gotten into it yet. In the meantime , I dusted off the trusty Singer slant o matic 500 and it is sewing like a dream. The reason for this post is to collect advice on replacing the Baby Lock if it is not repairable. I have looked at every brand of machine on the market - except the new singers. I have no dealers anywhere near me , they all closed. Otherwise I would test drive some. Should I get a machine that s great at FMQ like the brother 1500? An all around machine with bells and whistles? I have looked at the janome 4120 and the eversewn qe . I have looked at vintage also and want a warranty. I want to spend 800 or less. What direction should I go? Thanks so much!

ctrysass2012 07-22-2022 06:16 PM

I don't know what to suggest for a machine. If you are able to do it, take a road trip to Grand Rapids MI in about 3 1/2 wks for the AQS show. Lots of machines there to check & test. Should be show specials also. I've been making the trip for a few years to see the show & visit family. I'm West MI born & raised.

Tartan 07-22-2022 06:31 PM

If you want to do a lot of FMQ, you may also like to venture into ruler work. Look for a brand that can do FMQ and has a ruler foot for working with the thick rulers.

cashs_mom 07-22-2022 07:04 PM

If you are looking for a FMQ machine and don't mind straight stitch only, I'd recoomend the Juki TL2010/2200 QVP Mini (basically the same machines). I have had excellent luck with mine. I bought mine new for right around $1000. a few years ago. I have no idea what they cost now.

quiltedsunshine 07-22-2022 08:48 PM

If you don't mind a straight stitch only machine, those semi-industrial Juki's are pretty awesome! You could probably find a used one for around $500. The Brother 1500 is a re-branded Juki. Juki makes and re-brands this particular machine for a few other companies.

Lady Diana 07-23-2022 03:57 AM

If you are interested in a straight stitch machine, the Janome HD9V2 is hands down better than the Juki2010...search you tube for "why I chose janome hd9 versus JUKI. THERE ARE TWO videos out there. I saw them before buying the HD9V2. My dealer gave me the Quilter ruler kit at no cost. It sells for $169. The cost of the HD9V2 HAS GONE UP due to shipping costs. Great machine. I use it for bag making, leather, and quilting. I have Janome 15000, 8900, 6600 and HD9V2, love them all.

Stitchnripper 07-23-2022 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8560643)
If you don't mind a straight stitch only machine, those semi-industrial Juki's are pretty awesome! You could probably find a used one for around $500. The Brother 1500 is a re-branded Juki. Juki makes and re-brands this particular machine for a few other companies.

while I love my 2 Brother PQ1500s I don’t think they are rebranded Jukis. My dealer sells both and said while they look similar they are different “under the hood”. Juki and Brother are different companies. I follow some Juki Facebook sites and am not at all
Wanting a Juki. My brothers do nice ruler work. The problem is always with the operator!

lisadozsew 07-23-2022 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 (Post 8560630)
I don't know what to suggest for a machine. If you are able to do it, take a road trip to Grand Rapids MI in about 3 1/2 wks for the AQS show. Lots of machines there to check & test. Should be show specials also. I've been making the trip for a few years to see the show & visit family. I'm West MI born & raised.

That sounds so wonderful! I wish I could , but I teach and will be back to work - sigh. I will put that on calendar for next year!

lisadozsew 07-23-2022 03:32 PM

Thank you all for the great replies! You have certainly given me food for thought. I do want to learn to do ruler quilting and want to make sure the machine I end up buying is good at FMQ.

mkc 07-23-2022 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by lisadozsew (Post 8560736)
Thank you all for the great replies! You have certainly given me food for thought. I do want to learn to do ruler quilting and want to make sure the machine I end up buying is good at FMQ.

Do make sure the machine has a lever to drop the feed dogs. Some semi-industrial (like certain Juki models) don't have that - you need to switch out to a thicker needle plate that prevents the feed dogs from touching the back of the fabric.

I know some folks leave the feed dogs up, but it's good to have the option should you need it. I prefer feed dogs down.