Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you ever heard this saying (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-ever-heard-saying-t318770.html)

MaryKa 07-24-2022 08:28 PM

Have you ever heard this saying

Thought this would be a fun area.

My favorite saying is:

I have six honest serving men
They taught me all I know
Their names are:
Who
What
When
Where
Why
and
How

This was on the bulletin board in my microbiology class (long ago years) and it has stuck with me throughout my life's journey. Have no idea of the original author.

Got a favorite saying post it here--if you care to share.

WMUTeach 07-25-2022 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friend. Inside a dog is too dark to read." This was attributed to Groucho Marx This quote lived on my refrigerator for years as a bookmark from my local library.

"A house with cats needs no statuary.". - I read it in a book years ago and have no idea who said it but only revel in the truth of the statement. Cats are constantly posing as statues on a shelf,a windowsill or table top. This is ZuZu on her first day in her new home with me.

Onebyone 07-25-2022 03:43 AM

"Go to bed the same day you get up" has always stuck with me. I read it somewhere long ago.

sandy l 07-25-2022 03:48 AM

"Don't be a day late or a dollar short", That was a favorite of my father, seemed to cover everything:)

tranum 07-25-2022 04:33 AM

“Drunk men and little children always tell the truth”

“Matthew, Mark, Luke and John - hold the horse ‘til I get on”.

“It’s easy to be generous with another man’s money”

bearisgray 07-25-2022 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKa (Post 8560906)
Thought this would be a fun area.

My favorite saying is:

I have six honest serving men
They taught me all I know
Their names are:
Who
What
When
Where
Why
and
How

This was on the bulletin board in my microbiology class (long ago years) and it has stuck with me throughout my life's journey. Have no idea of the original author.

Got a favorite saying post it here--if you care to share.

Really difficult to decide what the truth may be when we can't get the true answers to those questions.

I have always been skeptical of "eye-witness accounts". Can't even get five people to retell a joke the same way that they heard it five minutes ago.

Tartan 07-25-2022 06:42 AM

“He is without sin, cast the first stone.”

Anniedeb 07-25-2022 07:45 AM

"There is not enough bread and mustard to go with all that baloney you are serving." Dad used to use this all the time to call out anyone not telling the truth. He also would say "BS. Just BS. Baloney Sandwich all the way!"

tallchick 07-25-2022 07:48 AM

Yup, In my english classes when writing essays or reports' etc. .

cathyvv 07-26-2022 02:59 PM

Learned it in a grammar school english class. It's pretty much what you need to write a sentence, a story, a book, solving a crime, etc.

who did it and who or what did they do it to
what did they do
when did they do it
where did they do it
why did they do it