Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Another Phishy scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/another-phishy-scam-t318774.html)

Chasing Hawk 07-25-2022 02:44 PM

Another Phishy scam

Another set of crooks or maybe the same ones from the past called this afternoon. Saying an unusual amount of activity was going on with my Amazon account.
This time it was a 1100 dollar laptop. Which I didn't purchase.
I called Amazon.com and checked my bank account. Nothing unusual on the bank account. The CS lady, Juanita was pleasant and verified nothing was amiss with my Prime account and anything else related with Amazon.
Juanita also said if anything was suspicious they would lock the account and send an email. They won't call and ask for information.

I was stunned since just a few weeks ago my Visa card was compromised and a fraud investigation was opened. New card was issued etc. I didn't want to have to go through that again.

So keep a sharp eye out for these crooks. DON'T give out any info, push and buttons on your phone or click any links.

SueZQ from MN 07-25-2022 03:51 PM

The Amazon order scam seems to be a common one. Two weeks ago, we received 15 of the same call in one week, and 7 of them in one day!!! Just ignore them.

Tartan 07-25-2022 06:00 PM

Sad sign of the times we live in where people instead of getting a job and earning a wage, they have to steal.

toverly 07-26-2022 02:41 AM

I've gotten that one. The funny thing is I don't have an Amazon account. I use another family member's account.

quiltsfor 07-26-2022 04:44 AM

We get the ones for Windows - usually don't answer the phone unless we know who it is -- But, every once in a while, hubby is in the mood to pull their chain. So the conversation goes like this --

Hello sir, You are having an issue with your windows,
DH - yes, we have noticed that
If you could give me some information I can fix that for you.
DH - do you do multiple ones?
Oh, yes we can sir
DH -- and can I get screens with them as well?
Caller's voice getting excited
Yes sir, we can do that for you.
DH -- ok just a minute while I tell my wife ---- waits about 5 minutes, then gets back on the phone
DH -- are you still there?
Oh, yes sir. Can I get some information from you
DH -- Okay, but I just want to check --- these windows that I'm going to get from you, are they are good windows, they are well made of the highest quality?
I don't know what you mean sir, can I just get some information from you?
DH - well, I need about 15 of them, can you do that?
Sir, can I get your information?
DH -- only if the windows are double paned glass as well...
Caller says a not so nice word and ends the call
DH -- hello, hello, are you there? Hey Hun, this guy wanted to sell me windows, but then he cussed at me and hung up -- can't get good customer service anywhere anymore....
DH -- chuckles, that was fun!

Homespun 07-26-2022 04:44 AM

I get many emails saying my Amazon account or my Amazon card is compromised. I just delete them. I don't have an Amazon card.

Watson58 07-26-2022 05:41 AM

This week I've gotten text msgs saying the same about both my paypal and amazon accts. I checked both and decided it was a scam. Don't want to open the link they gave.

eparys 07-26-2022 06:01 AM

I got one recently about my Amazon Prime account .... But Wait!! I don't have a prime account (lol) - so that was easy. Another one is a scam about PayPal - gotten several of those recently.

Chasing Hawk - It is such an inconvenience when your card is compromised glad this one was a hoax and you checked. On my two credit cards - I have an alert set for any time a transaction is made without the card being present. It sends me a email with vendor and amount - very convenient as I can take care of a problem quickly.

quiltsfor - I will have to remember that one!! Love it. I had one of those experiences but I asked the guy if his mother knew he lied for a living - oddly enough he hung up!!

ptquilts 07-26-2022 06:57 AM

The Amazon/Paypal/etc refund scam is particularly devious in that they want access to your PC and then to your bank account. They pretend to give you a refund into your bank account by doing an internal transfer and then editing the HTML of the page to make it look like they gave you too much money. They can clean out your account of whatever you have in there.

Never let anyone access your computer, that you do not know, and never log into your bank account while anyone is having a remote access to your PC.

And never call the number on a text or email that purports to be from Amazon, Paypal, your bank, etc. Look up the number yourself and call directly. Stay safe.

SillySusan 07-26-2022 05:17 PM

Yes, I got that same Amazon call! The man said a 1500.00 tv was ordered, etc, etc, I told him, yes, I ordered it and it better be delivered quickly! And, don't you dare hold it up because you thing that there is a problem!!! -- Needless to say, I didn't get the tv or the bill for it!!!