Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother PQ 1500SL opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-pq-1500sl-opinions-please-t320238.html)

ElaineCovid 03-10-2023 06:12 PM

Brother PQ 1500SL opinions please

Hi,
Looking for feedback on the above machine. My step daughter is looking for a new to her machine that has a little more throat space and she's found this model available close to her.
I am not familiar with Brother machines personally, so I said I'd ask you bunch for some feedback - pros and cons, anything you can say about them.
TYIA

mjpEncinitas 03-10-2023 07:00 PM

IT’s a solid machine for quilting. It only does a straight stitch. It does not do zig zag etc. This machine is not good for making clothes but with the large throat it is good for quilting, both walking foot and free motion quilting. I was able to quilt large quilts on it,. We also had no trouble sewing leather.

Gemm 03-10-2023 09:27 PM

When I was looking for a machine to quilt with back at the beginning of the pandemic (I was working with a tiny Kenmore 14 (I think) portable until then) I decided to invest in this one and have been happy with my decision so far. It was reasonably priced and was sold to me as a machine that "will sew anything from chiffon to leather" and I've been able to push fleece and leather through together (making dog booties) and it fed without any issues. I don't do much fancy-dancy stuff but it can fit a king size quilt rolled up through the throat and I have done some dabbling with free motion and that went well, too. I oil it after every major project (for me, that has worked out to about 4-5 times a year) and that seems to keep it happy. The bobbin is old-fashioned - not a drop-in (I've never had anything else, but this seems to be an issue for some people). If I could change anything, I'd wish the base plate (sorry - I'm not sure of correct terminology) was more "flush" with the rest of the base and the light was a bit better, but neither of these have really caused any big issues for me. Hope that helps!

Onebyone 03-11-2023 09:29 AM

One thing that I found when I first bought one was the thread kept coming out of the neele when I used the thread cutter. When I took it to be repaired for another problem (my fault) the guy changed the length of the thread tail so no more unthreading. One BIG no no. Do not use any bobbins with holes around it. Only use the solid metal bobbins. It was explained to me why by a tech rep but I forgot most of it. I know to not use them. Can cause a lot of damage.

Stitchnripper 03-11-2023 10:59 AM

I have two - pandemic meant new machine at different location. They are both trouble free. Take all threads. I don't fool with tension. Does FMQ great. I have had zero issues. Thread cutter immaterial to me. I don't use it much. It wouldn't be a deal maker for me on any machine. I can service them myself. Meaning cleaning and oiling. Highly recommend

Peckish 03-11-2023 11:13 AM

Mine has been my "daily driver" for 10 years, I love it so much I let go of my Singer, my Janome, my Pfaff... all my other sewing machines. Then I bought another 1500 as a backup, and for my mom and friends to use when they come over for sew days. That should tell you how happy I am with it.

rryder 03-11-2023 03:28 PM

Another PQ1500 lover here. I bought mine used off of eBay about 10 years ago. Great straight stitch machine, my go to for precision piecing. For about 5 years it was my main quilting machine as well. So it has gotten lots of use over the years.

Rob

ElaineCovid 03-11-2023 05:04 PM

Thank you everyone, I will pass along all the comments, I'm pretty sure she will be buying one of these!