Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Gift Ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-gift-ideas-t321818.html)

AnneTeak 11-14-2023 07:01 PM

Quilt Gift Ideas

Need some ideas for our Quilt guild Christmas party gift swap/exchange. $10-15 limit.

bearisgray 11-14-2023 10:04 PM

Skip the exchange and donate items to a food shelf or give a cash donation to a food shelf or toys for tots or some charitable organization.

I do admit to "having a thing" about gift exchanges. I actively dislike them.

However, I do not know your group dynamics, so am not going to offer any further suggestions.

dunster 11-14-2023 10:58 PM

Bear, you made me laugh, but I totally agree. One reason that I don't go to my guild's holiday party is because I don't like the gift exchange. To me it seems like everyone is paying around $25 to give someone they probably don't know a gift that they won't enjoy anyway. And to top it all off, they go one further and do the dirty Santa exchange, where you can reject a gift and choose one that someone else received instead. Now isn't that both rude (rejecting the first gift) and mean spirited (stealing one from someone else)? The other reason I don't go is that it's a potluck. I enjoy potlucks with a few friends, but I don't like big potlucks. Too many people get sick from them.

However, I do have a suggestion for Anne. Every quilter can use seam rippers. You can buy several regular ones, or one fancy one, and it's sure to be appreciated.

copycat 11-15-2023 02:49 AM

Lint rollers for fuzz, pet hair, thread clips etc are always needed. Color catchers for washing new fabric. As Dunster suggested, a fancy seam ripper would make the task more fun! Mine are all plastic and work well, but... I admire the fancy ones I see at quilt shows.
Enjoy your gift exchange and you may wish to suggest members bring can goods for a local food pantry as well.
Our guild has brought toys in gift bags for the local shelter for women and children at our annual Christmas party.

aashley333 11-15-2023 03:35 AM

Who doesn't appreciate a new pair of scissors? Lots of choices. Also, loving my new gadget for cutting after string piecing.

Stitchnripper 11-15-2023 05:12 AM

I am in the camp of don't like gift exchanges. I skip my group's annual holiday party for that reason and because of the food planning. I don't need any gift the very nice women would make/buy and we have a finger licker in the group. I would rather give to a food bank, which I do regularly anyway.

bearisgray 11-15-2023 05:29 AM

After seeing some of the suggestions, I came up with a list of some ideas of things-

Best press, rotary cutting blades, that purple Thang, Wonder Clips. Spool of neutral " premium" thread ( don't know brands ) ,
small quiltng rulerv- I love my 4x8 one with the 1 / 8 grid), small cutting mats - I used to do my trimming in front of the tv- .

Candy, disposablev hand wipesc- good hand lotion or creams - unscented or with a light fragrance - water bottle -

Maybe start with thinking about items you would like to receive?

Things I would prefer to not get: scented candles, fabric, books, ornaments,, off- brand tools/ notions, mugs/cups, .

Because I have had a long time to accumulate "stuff" - I have gotten a lot more selective about what I might need or want.

bkay 11-15-2023 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 (Post 8624109)
Who doesn't appreciate a new pair of scissors? Lots of choices. Also, loving my new gadget for cutting after string piecing.

So, I missed it. what's your new gadget for string piecing?

bkay

Onebyone 11-15-2023 06:46 AM

I can donate to a food bank or charity anytime. so I think a gift exchange is a token of good spirit for a group. We have a bring one take one exchange and encourage handmade items. Any member can precipitate or not, their choice.

AnneTeak 11-15-2023 07:34 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I am new to the area and thought joining a quilt guild would help me make some new friends. I am looking forward to the gift exchange and potluck dinner.