Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why am I having so much trouble with this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-am-i-having-so-much-trouble-t37757.html)

mom-6 02-23-2010 04:34 PM

A friend gave me a stash of lovely corduroy in various colors, weights, and wale widths, wanting me to make her a quilt.

I decided to do a modified log cabin with an 8" center square and 2 sets of 2" strips.

Unfortunately she seems to want it done by machine and I much prefer doing both the piecing and the quilting by hand, as I can get things to match up more easily that way.

I'm wondering if the problem is that I made my strips too narrow (2" wide) for the wider wale ones to stitch right.

Also the tiny wale width strips seem to be stretching as I sew.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marjpf 02-23-2010 04:46 PM

I have never tried making a quilt with corduroy. Sure hope someone here can help. I'd like to see a picture when it's done. Sounds very cozy.

mom-6 02-23-2010 04:56 PM

Me neither...not til this one, anyway. At this point it's never again either!

shequilts 02-23-2010 05:07 PM

Mom:
It sounds as if you may have bitten off more than I would like to chew. Corduroy is a b---- to sew. It ravels unmercifully and will fray and stretch even after they're sewn. I grew up making clothes when corduroy was really in style and hated every stitch I made on it.
If I WERE to make a quilt using corduroy, I'd make a very small one. If at all possible, I'd serge it together and back it with a light weight flannel so I wouldn't need to use a batting. Weight will be a problem in keeping such a quilt together after it's finished. I would never hand stitch this project, let alone hand quilt it.
Good luck to you!
Good luck to you. If you

Oklahoma Suzie 02-23-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I have never tried making a quilt with corduroy. Sure hope someone here can help. I'd like to see a picture when it's done. Sounds very cozy.

I have never used corduroy either.

DebraK 02-23-2010 05:56 PM

I think the pattern is mismatched with the fabric. I've done sqaures and corduroy and that was hard enough.

quazyquilter 02-23-2010 06:19 PM

Years ago, I made a crazy patch quilt, all different types of corduroy. I zigzagged the edges and then used 1/2" seams, don't know if this will help you...

deedles215 02-23-2010 06:26 PM

Are you able to use a fusible backing on the small cord pieces? That seems like it would help to not stretch.

I would also suggest support support support... in the way of serging, machine stitching and extra quilting on the top when you're all done.

GOOD LUCK!

MadQuilter 02-23-2010 07:37 PM

You are going to run into trouble along at least two sides because the ribs won't line up. I'm not sure that a wider piece would help that much. All I can recommend is PIN PIN PIN!

stitchinMamaw 02-23-2010 10:30 PM

I wish you luck with your quilt . Years ago I bought a pack of precut quilt squares for a patchwork quilt . Not knowing then about quilting :roll: . I sewed thw squares together , no problem . Then I get the bright idea of using corduroy strips for the back [ dumb idea by the way ]. A friend had given me the corduroy strips . Well I got it together and my daughter used it on her bed [ teenager at the time ]. It frayed so much the back all came apart ! I had even zigzagged it , didn't help . Maybe the fusible interfacing might help . But this will be a very heavy quilt ! This is just one of my goofed up experiences :shock: Good luck , Annie