Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   dry erase markers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dry-erase-markers-t38955.html)

dixiechunk 03-08-2010 01:29 PM

The newsletter issue I received today was very interesting. My husband has commented on several occasions that I have more "non-sewing" tools and gadgets than sewing ones. Now I have written proof that I'm not the only one.

I do have a question about using dry erase markers on rulers. I'm assuming (and you know how dangerous that can be!) that you use the dry erase marker on the top side of the ruler because if you used it on the bottom it would wipe off onto the fabric. But...if you use it on the top of the ruler doesn't it get on your fingers?

With, um, older eyes any visual aid is helpful.

BellaBoo 03-08-2010 01:37 PM

I haven't used the dry erasers on rulers but I do use the removable 1/4" neon reusable strips. I bought a package that had orange, yellow and red strips on a roll like tape but I can't remember what the name is. It's great for marking rulers and 1/4" seam gauge on the machine.

amma 03-08-2010 02:03 PM

I would be afraid that they would rub off onto my hands and straight onto the fabric too... as well as my clothes and everything else :roll: :oops:
I think the colored cling on vinyl strips would be a better investment/idea too :D:D:D

mytwopals 03-08-2010 02:04 PM

I would not use dry erase markers. If you read the caution on the marker, they are permanent on cloth. Get it on the fabrc and you can forget it.

weezie 03-08-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I haven't used the dry erasers on rulers but I do use the removable 1/4" neon reusable strips. I bought a package that had orange, yellow and red strips on a roll like tape but I can't remember what the name is. It's great for marking rulers and 1/4" seam gauge on the machine.

Probably the same brand I have ... Omnigrid Glow Line Tape (a wise investment, indeed).

deranged_damsel 03-08-2010 03:05 PM

crayola washable marker come off easy with a little soap and water :oops: :oops: :oops:

scotch invisible tape shows up opauge :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am embarrased to say I have used all sorts of things from hubbys garage for sewing :oops: :oops: :oops:

Moonpi 03-08-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
Probably the same brand I have ... Omnigrid Glow Line Tape (a wise investment, indeed).

I use that same stuff - you can peel it off and reposition it or re-use it on another ruler. Lasts a loooong time.

jacee kay 03-08-2010 07:49 PM

I use colored electrical tape. I got from DH workshop.he,he
He didn't even miss it and it's cheaper than what I had found in quilting mags.

Chasing Hawk 03-08-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel

I am embarrased to say I have used all sorts of things from hubbys garage for sewing :oops: :oops: :oops:

Same here, I have "walked" off with a few things. I especially like the t-square that now resides in my sewing room.

Jois 03-08-2010 08:46 PM

school teacher friends say dry erase markers just won't come off cloth. Don't even think about it! LOL

Strangely enough you can use Sanford permanent markers on your rulers and then remove the marks by using a dry erase marker on top and wiping with a kleenex. Works for me but please please test before going all out and marking up all your rulers!