Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a bed sheet for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-bed-sheet-backing-t40242.html)

NCquilter 03-21-2010 02:23 PM

I've heard people say that they use a bed sheet for backing and I've also heard that it is a bad idea. What do you think?

Thanks, Kelly

isnthatodd 03-21-2010 02:26 PM

I've done it several times for utility quilts. They are inexpensive (translate that as cheap), wear well, and wash well. I mostly tied those quilts, so don't know about hand quilting them.

Shelley 03-21-2010 02:30 PM

BAD idea,with the exception of flannel sheets. The percale sheets have a weave that is so tight that when the needle pierces the fabric, it breaks the threads instead of going between them. You end up with holes in your fabric, which weakens it. You also have holds left if you have to re-do any stitches.

I'm of the belief that if you use good fabric (buy it on sale!) on the back, you can turn the quilt over and have two quilts.

butterjoy 03-21-2010 02:30 PM

I do that all the time! I also use old blankets for the middle if I cannot buy batting/matting (?) Yep, I am on disability cannot afford buying good stuff.

brushandthimble 03-21-2010 02:34 PM

I had heard it was a bad idea, that you for the explation for why. I too like to get my backings on sale.

Maride 03-21-2010 02:39 PM

I have used it many times. I buy a set at Walmart and use the flat. If you remove the elastic you can also use the fitted. I don't buy very high count. I am using one right now that is a little looser weave than regular cotton. It feels more like a tight linen and it washed great. Is very soft and flexible. Before I had gotten a set that came in a fabric bag and those were so soft we kept the fitted for the bed. It looked great to have the bed covered with the same fabric as the back of the quilt, fold the quilt back a little to show the back, and have the same fabric on the pillow cases. It looked as the whole thing was purchased.

Prism99 03-21-2010 02:53 PM

I've heard that regular bed sheets are really difficult to hand quilt; I think that's where they got at least some of their bad rep.

mom-6 03-21-2010 03:09 PM

I just got a couple of the 200 thread count ones to use for backing. As soon as I finish piecing the top I'll let you know how it works for me.

It may be awhile as I am also hand piecing and still have a few left to add...over 1200 of the 2-1/2" squares in place and only about 300 more remaining. Got a bunch done this weekend, so maybe this last bit will go pretty fast.

booklady 03-21-2010 03:22 PM

My grandmother hand quilted for me once and told me if I used a sheet again she would never quilt for me again! She said it was very difficult to hand quilt. I've followed her advice ever since.

Machine quilting would be a totally different story I'm sure! Never had any complaints from the machine quilting lady I use.

cuppi duke 03-21-2010 03:26 PM

I use sheets all of the time for backing. I buy the 200 thread count at Walmart and have not had any problems. If I need a matching color I use dye(not Rit). and even do tie dyeing to make it more fun. Be sure to wash the sheet after dyeing tho so it doesn't bleed. I would rather spend 4.00 on the backing and have more money to buy the top fabrics. I remember my grandmother using anything she could find for quilts and I think we have somehow lost some of the old fashioned ideas that went into quilt making.