Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome Mc9500 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-mc9500-t4100.html)

sewingtinkerbell 01-17-2008 11:00 AM

Does anyone have one of these? I have two Janome machines, My husband bought me one for Valentines day 8yrs ago and it does simple stitches and I just love it but I went out and bought a new Janome mc9500 14 months ago and have used it very little. What I am wanting to know is how is it at quilting? I haven't tried it, I just can't seem to stay away from my other machine.
shoot, maybe I'm afraid of tearing it up for what I paid for it.

cutebuns 01-17-2008 12:52 PM

I have an older Janome that I have had for years. They tend to be pretty sturdy machines. I have since gotten other machines but still go back and use it once in a while. Mine does embroidery work as well. Maybe start on a small project like a wall hanging or table runner to get your feet wet. After spending on a new machine you are going to want to get your money's worth. It doesn't mean that you have to abandon your other machine. I have 2 to 3 machines set up at any given time as each has their own perks. Favorite foot, speed, certain stitch.

Punksmom 01-20-2008 12:00 PM

Hi! I have the Janome 6600 and the MC 11000. My hubby got me the 11000 for my anniversary, birthday and christmas all combined :) . I love both machines and I do free hand quilting on both of them as they both have 9" throats. They even have a new quilting foot out along with a different bobbin case to do the free hand quilting the bobbin case has a looser thread tension about 40% less so it is easier to do the freehand quilting. I hope this helps encourage you to use your great machine, you will love using it, I do. :D LOL

mic-pa 01-20-2008 12:39 PM

hi, I have the 9000 which I have had for 10 yrs and then 2 yrs ago I bought the 10001 mc. When I got my first janome I did not use it. Always went and used my older Kenmore. then one day I said if I am ever going to use it I need to give up my Kenmore. So I put the old one away and started with the 9000 and never looked back. Now the 9000 is on the back burner "so to speak" and I use the 10001 for most all my sewing and quilting. I do love them both. I also have the mc 3500 to carry to class and quilt guild with me as the others are too heavy. I quilt my smaller quilts on them, I download embroidery patterns from the computor and it works well. Good Luck and get it out and use it, you won't be sorry. marge

Mamagus 01-21-2008 02:14 PM

The Janome MC 9500 is meant to be an embroidery machine. Janome has a full line of quilting machines... the MC 9500 isn't one of them!

What did you have in mind when you bought it? I was torn when I bought my Janome... I ended up with the the MC6500... a quilter.

I figure I'll save my pennies and get an embroidery machine when I have grandchildren to do all kinds of cute things for.

If your other Janome is a quilter... use the the embroidery machine when you want to do the fine sewing!

kdbkelly 01-21-2008 06:13 PM

My computer is acting up tonight, but I wanted to try to reply. I am partial to Janome machines. I have a Kenmore I bought in 1978 that was made by Janome, and I have a MC11000, MC4800, 1600p, Compulock 888 and Magnolia 7034D. The MC11000 is an embroidery/sewing and quilting machine. The MC4800 is a sewing machine - loaded with features (bought before they converted it to a quilting companion). I bought the 1600P to use on my quilting frame - does only straight stitch - but it does have a deeper throat (9").

What do you plan to do with your MC9500? I think the throat on it is about 7 1/2" and wouldn't do as well for a machine quilting frame. I have read where other quilters have used their smaller machine on a quilting frame, but you just have about a 4" area to sew before you have to roll the quilt. With a 9" throat, you have a larger area to sew. I am waiting to be able to buy at least a 13-17" machine so I won't have to roll my quilt so much.

Hope that helps!

dreamdanzzer 01-22-2008 06:39 AM

I have the MC 9000 and the MC9500 and I love both machines - Janome's are workhorses. I use both machines for quilting and embroidery and have never had a problem with either one of them, other than the auto threader getting out of alignment now & then. I have done piecing, quilt in the ditch and even some free motion (let's call that "practice art") :lol: with both my machines. I have quilted the smaller crib to queen size and pieced a king size on both machines. I am going to sell the 9000, only because I don't need two machines that do embroidery and am looking to purchase another Janome that I will be able to use with a handiquilter frame that I also plan to purchase this year. I hadn't sewn a thing since 7th grade when I bought the 9000 & got it because I wanted to embroidery ~ then I made my first quilt and I was hooked. Wanted larger embroidery area so got the 9500 and haven't stopped since but since I don't think I'm ever going to get the hang of the free motion my plan is to move into a quilt frame & neither the 9000 or 9500 have the throat space I want then. Use the embroidery feature - you'll be hooked. I think I initially embroideried everything my family owns unless they hid it someplace!

sewingtinkerbell 01-22-2008 07:19 AM

I would like to thank everyone for replying back to me.
I have started to practice using this machine and I like it, I have much more to learn.
I am thinking about buying a machine to use only for quilting.
Any input would be appreciated.
sherri