Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Throat question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/throat-question-t41892.html)

jcarilyn 04-06-2010 02:50 PM

I'm researching a new machine and I've narrowed it down between the Babylock Decorator's Choice and the Babylock Quest Plus.

The company lists the throat size on the Quest Plus as 8 5/8" inches, and because I can't find anything on the Decorator's Choice machine, I'm guessing the Plus has much more throat space.

I have very limited dealers in the area, so there is pretty much only one place I can buy from. They sell Babylock, Pfaff and Husquavarna. Obviously, cost is a big issue, but I do want to make sure that I'm getting what I need to at least last me a few years. My DH is great, he actually keeps checking Craig's list and was ready to buy me a Gracie frame with a Janome today, but I told him I'm light years away from needing that! :)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Carrie

littlehud 04-06-2010 03:00 PM

My Juki has a nine inch throat and I thought that was great. And it was. Now I want more. The nine inch throat will work for the time being but you will want more. Tell hubby to keep looking.

MadQuilter 04-06-2010 03:12 PM

What besides the larger throat do you need/want in features? That's where I would start.

For me those would include:
Good lighting
Needle up/down position
Stitch size manipulation
How well does it sew the blanket stitch?
Does it handle thin fabric without sucking it in the feed dogs?
Does it get bogged down by thick fabric?
How well/easy does it wind the bobbin?
Does it indicate low bobbin (and how does it tell you)
Does it drop the feed dogs for FMQ?
Does it have a walking foot (preferably built in)?
Does it have a free arm?

Not necessarily in that order - but those are the things I want to look at.

I would also read user reviews.

Pretty sure the right machine will raise its little foot and say: pick me plesae.

Marjpf 04-06-2010 03:24 PM

I agree with all that MadQuilter said. Especially the part about the low bobbin indicator.

dsb38327 04-06-2010 03:52 PM

Overstock.com has many selections. I have been pleased with all my purchases from them and feel I get more bang for the buck.

MadQuilter 04-06-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Overstock.com has many selections.

I checked them just for fun and they have 2 machines that fit the larger throat requirement. Both are Janomes: One is the super fast quilting machine that only does straight stitches forwards and backwards (the 1600). It is a no-frills machine (I have the Pfaff equivalent).

The MC6500 is a nice machine with plenty of fancy stitches and a large working table. Drawbacks for me would be: no free arm, no dropped feed dogs (cover plate instead which may be OK), very limited stitch manipulation. BUT my Janome-driving friends love their machines.

Now I don't think the price on that machine is all that great. A decent dealer would deal. I'd look at the Janome MC6600 instead or the Brother NX-450 or NX-650.

Prism99 04-06-2010 04:51 PM

I found this review of the Babylock Decorator's Choice machine that says it has a harp size of 9" (needle to side arm) and 6" (up/down):

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/3359

If you do a search at patternreview.com you may find other reviews of both machines. Just select category "serger/sm" and put the Babylock brand in.

Are you planning to use this machine for piecing, for quilting, or both? I'm just wondering because it doesn't have a zigzag stitch which means you wouldn't be able to do invisible machine applique, satin stitch applique, etc.

sewnsewer2 04-06-2010 05:50 PM

That looks like a really nice machine!

sewcrafty 04-07-2010 04:48 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and it has a 9" throat. Its really quite a good size.

Jingle 04-07-2010 06:02 AM

My Juki TL98QE has a 9" throat and I haven't made a quilt that I haven't been able to quilt on it.I usually make twin to queen size quilt, only a couple baby quilts.
The bobbin holds more thread than any of my other machines. It only straight stitches,forward, backward, needle up/down by, push button, fabric never gets sucked anywhere. I have an indentical one for back up, and 3 other machines if I want to do anyother stitches.
The Juki works great for me. It has no plastic parts and is a workhorse.