Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I went and did it - I opened my mouth and its ALL YOUR FAULT!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-went-did-i-opened-my-mouth-its-all-your-fault-t42846.html)

PurpleBecca 04-15-2010 02:37 PM

Ok - so I was at our Irish Country Woman's association meeting this evening and we were trying to think of a donation for the big raffle at the AGM next month.

Of course I have QUILTS so much on the brain since discovering you guys that I said it..... 'I could make a quilt!' - there it was out there - of course they all thought it was a great idea!!!!!

So now I have done it! I've been driving home thinking of ways to delegate small tasks to other members if I cut it out and give them a crash course in quilting.........

Just felt like sharing before I go to bed!

azdesertrat 04-15-2010 02:44 PM

good luck to you and welcome from arizona,where in Ireland are you?

PurpleBecca 04-15-2010 02:48 PM

Thanks! I am in County Limerick. I have visited Twenty Nine Palms in California several tiems and driven from Vegas out there - we LOVE the desert! My Husband would live there but I can't live where it would be so hard to garden!

katei 04-15-2010 02:48 PM

Better idea would be to dish out all the housework, shopping, cooking etc and that way you'd have plenty of time for quilting :thumbup:

GrannyW5 04-15-2010 02:50 PM

That happened to me about 8 years ago. A doctor that we worked for was retiring and the ladies were wondering what to give her for a gift. Suddenly I heard myself saying "make a quilt!!"
I gave them a crash course on quilting and everyine helped. It was fun and the ladies really enjoyed learning. Several are still quilting. Just pick an easy pattern like "warm wishes." Most people can sew a straight line.
Good luck!!

PurpleBecca 04-15-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by GrannyW5
That happened to me about 8 years ago. A doctor that we worked for was retiring and the ladies were wondering what to give her for a gift. Suddenly I heard myself saying "make a quilt!!"
I gave them a crash course on quilting and everyine helped. It was fun and the ladies really enjoyed learning. Several are still quilting. Just pick an easy pattern like "warm wishes." Most people can sew a straight line.
Good luck!!

Glad I am not the only one!!! I was thinking of making the Roman Stripe again (my Avatar) I have loads of fabrics in pinks and reds (very girly) and having done it before I wont have any surprises!! I thought I could cut the strips and hand them out for piecing.

I will post the finished thing!

Of course I love the idea of delegating all the cooking etc instead!! Unfortunately I have a sitting room full of alterations and repairs to do for clients as well as a set of church vestments to finish restoring - I can't delegate those!!!

And a garden that needs digging and planting ...........

Naiscoot 04-15-2010 03:00 PM

Happens to all of us, that's why we have unfinished quilts that just need to have the batting and back added and quilted. Right girls.

Dragonfly Nana 04-15-2010 03:03 PM

You could join one of the swaps here....that would give you quite a unique variety of blocks to put in the charity quilt and it would be "international" too.

PurpleBecca 04-15-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Naiscoot
Happens to all of us, that's why we have unfinished quilts that just need to have the batting and back added and quilted. Right girls.

Good idea!! Unfortunately the only one I have right now is a Bob the Builder Quilt!!! Not quite the thing for the ICA!!! I will remember this in future though - Thanks Naiscoot!

Dragonfly Nana 04-15-2010 03:04 PM

ooh just saw your timeline.....no time for a swap for this year, but and idea for next time.