Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lean quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lean-quilting-t43938.html)

Borntohandquilt 04-25-2010 11:11 PM

How did you all learn quilting? Self-taught? Learned from mother, grandmother, auntie, friends? Workshops? Books?
I am really curious, please tell me... :-)

amma 04-25-2010 11:14 PM

Books, online videos/tutorials, here on the board and tv shows :D:D:D
No one in my family is interested in quilting, nor in my group of friends. All of my family who quilted were deceased when I had the iterest to start learning to quilt.

Pepita 04-25-2010 11:37 PM

My first quilt was made when I was in 7th grade. I tried to copy a quilt my grandmother had made (dresden plate with a ice cream cone border) No one in my family sewed! I finished the top and didn't quilt it. My older sister got it and took it to a group of women that got together and quilted for money, as my college graduation. What a surprise! Then when I was going to have my first child, I made him a quilt and then I made many after that. I watched PBS Nancy Zeman and Georgia Bonesteel to learn about quilting. Since then other quilting programs Simply Quilts and tons of books. I have taken classes at quilt festival, and a couple of classes at quilt shops.

knlsmith 04-26-2010 12:10 AM

Mostly self taught. A few classes but nothing I didn't already know. Took them more to meet people with similar interest. Then I met this board earlier this year and find all the info priceless.

1quilt_gma 04-26-2010 01:01 AM

I read, bought quilting books, started with a couple of huge whole quilts, one showing planets and one monster trucks going over rocks. I sewed around every planet, every truck and rock. Those took me about 2 years to finish. I learned what not to do, and two of my GC are enjoying those quilts now.

I have since bought more quilting magazines and just recently watched how-to videos and joined a couple of on-line forums. My knowledge and confidence have grown since then and I am looking forward to expanding my abilities.

Dawn Hendrix 04-26-2010 02:36 AM

I took one class and wasn't impressed with my teacher.. I knew I could do THIS! SO I started collecting patterns and I WAS OFF to the races. I have taken classes since and I continue to amaze myself with my abbilities! I SEW LOVE QUILTING!

sewcrafty 04-26-2010 02:45 AM

I've sewen since I was 12 in school. Made clothes and home decor. Then a friend talked me into going to a quild meeting so I bought Fons and Porters Complete Guide to Quilting and read up on everything. I have taken 2 classes, one for hand-quilting - which was a total waste of time and one for watercolor quilts. If I was interested in a particular techinique, I bought the book or asked questions.

AmyLynn 04-26-2010 03:08 AM

Totally self taught. No one in my family quilts or sews (or any other craft). I got my first sewing machine when I got married, 14 yrs ago. Started a log cabin quilt, learned by reading a book, then had a baby and it fell by the wayside. 14 yrs later and a new machine, I'm back in it. I do alot of reading on the internet, alot of "trial and error" and have bought a few quilting books. Started with small table runners and baby quilts, and am now on my first queen size quilt. Oh, and that 14 yr old log cabin top, still in a drawer. Its not very pretty :(

quiltingfan 04-26-2010 03:13 AM

Took a series of 4 week beginner classes. Loved it, have since taken a fmq class and wish I could take more. It is in my genes though both my grandmothers quilted when they were alive. In fact I am working on 2 of theirs at the moment.

Pamela Artman 04-26-2010 03:14 AM

I watched my grandma quilt while growing up. When I was expecting, I made a baby quilt and I just fell in love with quilting! That was 35 years ago!