Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   An honor, yet a lot of responsibiloity (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/honor-yet-lot-responsibiloity-t4397.html)

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 07:27 PM

After giving my parents their quilt for Christmas, I was asked by my mother's best friend to make a king quilt from........................... Mother Goose embroidered blocks that were done on feed bags in 1945 and 1946. She and her mother embroidered them.

So I had the challenge of creating a quilt for an adult's bed that uses mother goose blocks.

The blocks laundered fine in wool-lite. Thank goodness!!

So, has anyone had a unique challenge like this? What was it, and what did you do?

The top is almost pieced, and I could post some pics, but I thought it would be fun to spark some conversation first.

Scott

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 07:29 PM

Good Lord! That's R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I B-I-L-I-T-Y.

bj 02-05-2008 07:52 PM

Not that challenging, but I'm finishing a top for a friend that was started by an aunt 15 or 20 years ago and never finished. She had partially hand pieced and partially machine pieced her blocks. They are uneven sizes and don't line up very well. I took a lot of it apart and reassembled. My friend gave me the fabric and odds and ends when her aunt died (my friend doesn't quilt). So I'm finishing it as a surprise for her. I didn't tell her, it's just going to show up in the mail one day! Soon I hope.

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 08:00 PM

Wow! Great story. Your friend will be so thrilled. The quilt top looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Moonpi 02-05-2008 08:20 PM

Id love to see pictures

henryparrish76 02-05-2008 08:27 PM

My grandmother found a quilt that my grandfather had started before he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and passed away. That was 20 years ago this August. She found it today and I rushed down to see her. Its a nice red and white quilted top sewn by my grandfather. She wants me to finish it for her. Talk about responsibility. But I am up for the challenge. I will post pics of the top later for all to see. Right now I am tired and need to go to bed.

jbsstrawberry 02-05-2008 08:35 PM

Scott...thats pretty awesome! I've never had a challenge like that!! I can't wait to see pics of it! Feed sack stuff is just so cool. Mom is forever telling me about the beautiful dresses her mil made for her from them. She said "back then" they were pretty and many of them were printed with little flowers and such. Wish I had pics of them!!

lisae 02-05-2008 10:30 PM

I've never made a quilt for an adult using blocks designed for a child, but I have restored a fair number of old quilts and made some quilts using older blocks. For me, the key thing is to use setting and border fabrics that are compatible with the blocks. Also, the overall design of the quilt should be consistent with the era the blocks are from.

If you could find several printed feed sacks with the same pattern, I think it would be nice to use those for sashing or setting blacks. You could also use reproduction fabric. You mentioned the quilt is for a king size bed; I think you'll have to use wide borders.

I am looking forward to seeing your pics!

sewhappy 02-06-2008 01:09 AM

Sounds like a great challenge. Can't wait to see some pictures. Good luck! :D

live2teach 02-06-2008 04:10 AM

I've never had a challenge like that! I've just restored a few. What a treasure that will be when it's completed. I love quilts from feedsacks. I can't wait to see the pictures.