Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   basement quilting room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basement-quilting-room-t46999.html)

Missi 05-24-2010 06:43 PM

I know others around here have their sewing rooms in the basement. Have any of you had problems with moisture? A quilting lady told me not to keep my machine in the basement cause of all the moisture. She also said she would be careful of fabric down there cause of mildew, etc.

I have never noticed a damp feel until just this week. I am running a dehumidifier and for western Kansas it is super humid and I can't run my AC - well I won't run my AC until the contractor has my bathroom ceiling in. Right now I have an exposed attic and not gonna cool the outside :) The contractor might be getting a phone call if I don 't see him tomorrow :)

quiltinghere 05-24-2010 06:52 PM

I've had my quilting things in the basement for over 15 years with no problems. The fabric is stored in plastic totes and the machines are great!

I run a dehumidifier from May through Septemeber because it's a basement...not because my sewing things are down there.

As with everything in life - gather opinions and then make your own decision...you'll have to live with it! :)

CarrieAnne 05-24-2010 06:57 PM

Probaly depends on your basement. Some people have new, nice ones, with rooms, and some are old and damp. Mines newish and damp, lol, so I dont store much down there, but my Moms house has beautiful rooms in hers.

sahm4605 05-24-2010 07:09 PM

if your basement is dark and scary like mine I wouldn't, but mine is in a 70's raised ranch that has no windows and is darker than a tomb. If it like my parents, which is finished and all pretty and bright, I would. they don't have a water problem like we do. and their ceiling is about 3 feet higher than mine. It is just how your basement is. I would run the de-humidifier if you are in a humid area. just to help keep the mold down. but that is just me.

LindaR 05-25-2010 04:35 AM

I was going to start my embroidery machine on the sunporch this summer but it is so extremely hot out there on the south side...wondered how it would affect it...

Deb watkins 05-25-2010 04:59 AM

Mine is in the basement, though I do run a dehumidfier about this time till about Sept. Never had any problems with smells or mildew.

Ripped on Scotch 05-25-2010 05:00 AM

mine is in the basement... and my mother has her Gammell in the basement. it think it all depends on the mositure of your house.

Minda 05-25-2010 05:05 AM

A quilting friend of mine stored her quilting supplies (including fabric) in her basement for over 10 years with no problems.

She did run a dehumidifier all of the time, and she didn't keep her sewing machine down there.

MelissaK 05-25-2010 05:30 AM

My basement is 60+ years old. I have had my sewing stuff down there for 2 years now and have not had any problems. I do run a dehumidifier year round b/c it is a basement.

thequilteddove 05-25-2010 05:31 AM

I don't seem to have a moisture issue at all. I do run a dehumidifier in during the warmer weather though - keeps that funny smell out.