Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharpening-vs-replacing-rotary-cutter-blades-t50781.html)

PuffinGin 06-22-2010 03:55 AM

Recently, I put a new blade in my cutter, after having many "miles" (and a small bad/nicked area) on the old one. In a time crunch to get some written recipes out for a bridal shower, I ended up cutting recipe cards I'd printed on heavy paper stock with my rotary cutter. I know that's a dumb thing to do ... but I did it anyway. I haven't used the cutter for cutting fabric since but I don't doubt that I've dulled it. This got me to wondering how often others change his/her blades and whether you use a sharpener rather than just putting in a new blade. Don't know what a sharpener costs but even then I dislike the discard mentality and like to recycle or prolong use. Is it worth getting a sharpener? Do they do a good job?

brushandthimble 06-22-2010 03:58 AM

I have tried a couple of different sharperns, and find it is really not worth while.

JMHO

bj 06-22-2010 04:02 AM

I don't have a sharpener, but have wondered the same thing. I replace old blades, but I think I use them longer than I probably should. I don't cut through many layers of fabric at a time, so mine seem to last awhile.

bearisgray 06-22-2010 04:02 AM

I tried a sharpener many years ago. A waste of money.

I usually wait until my blades are about as dull as my table knives before I change them - which is an extremely inefficient thing to do - because when I finally change the blade, cutting is so much easier again!

(And I do have extra blades around.) I usually get my replacement blades through e-bay.

erstan947 06-22-2010 04:11 AM

I have an inexpensive one. It helps a little. I can eek out a few more cuts but is not all that great.

hcarpanini 06-22-2010 04:18 AM

Theres nothing like a brand new blade!

bearisgray 06-22-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini

:lol:

taiboo 06-22-2010 04:43 AM

I agree, but i have to say, i bought a sharpener a month ago and used it for the first time last week...I am SHOCKED how well and new it made my blade...It gave my blade a brand new life ( I don't know how many times i would sharpen the blades), but i am sold on it and will def. save $ on purchasing new blades.

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by hcarpanini

:lol:

Gal 06-22-2010 04:49 AM

I have in the past cut pola fleece and other polyester fabrics, never again, it dulled my blade after a couple of projects, I am keeping mine strictly for my quilting fabrics and to keep accurate I do not cut many thickness of fabric at one time.

Gal

LindaR 06-22-2010 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by PuffinGin
Recently, I put a new blade in my cutter, after having many "miles" (and a small bad/nicked area) on the old one. In a time crunch to get some written recipes out for a bridal shower, I ended up cutting recipe cards I'd printed on heavy paper stock with my rotary cutter. I know that's a dumb thing to do ... but I did it anyway. I haven't used the cutter for cutting fabric since but I don't doubt that I've dulled it. This got me to wondering how often others change his/her blades and whether you use a sharpener rather than just putting in a new blade. Don't know what a sharpener costs but even then I dislike the discard mentality and like to recycle or prolong use. Is it worth getting a sharpener? Do they do a good job?

I have sent my dull ones into a guy, L.P. Sharpe.com and he either sharpens them or replaces them with brand X which is just as good as I have used them. I don't know if he is still in business but you need at least 5 to send to him I think..I'll google and see if he is still in business