Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand embroidery .............help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-embroidery-help-t52293.html)

trupeach1 07-01-2010 11:52 AM

I have hand embroidered since I was 8 so I don't need help in the embroidery department it is with transfers. I have vintage iron on transfers and since I wanted to copy them (for my own use) I bought the Aunt Martha's tracing paper that you trace the transfer on to. I have the special red pencil too that you use to trace the transfer then iron onto the fabric. It is NOT working. I have used unwashed100% white cotton fabric you could barely see the lines and not well enough to even make out what the pic is let alone embroider it. I washed the fabric, ironed it on again and still can't see the pic. I then tried a cottom blend wash and unwashed. Still no picture just a little pink so it isn't as if I made a mistake and ironed the wrong side. I re traced the picture so that the pencil was thicker and still nothing. The instructions say to wash the fabric and then use a dry iron on the highest setting. NOTHING is working. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought all these things and the transfer were pretty costly since they were vintage I would hate it if I couldn't use them. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pam 07-01-2010 12:03 PM

Try steam, or you could trace them in the window.

trupeach1 07-01-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pam

But it says not to steam it I think the steam will melt the pencile and it will be a big mess. If it has to be ironed on to fabric how could it be traced in the window?

dotcomdtcm 07-01-2010 12:17 PM

If you have a window or a light box you can just trace them with a pencil. I think your transfer pencil is the culprit. Try another brand or two. Or a thin marker that washes out.

amma 07-01-2010 12:23 PM

On tv, they ironed the fabric first to get it hot, and then applied the transfer to the heated fabric :D:D:D

Also, she said sometimes you may have to let the ink dry, and then go over it again before transferring it.

Pam 07-01-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1

Originally Posted by Pam

But it says not to steam it I think the steam will melt the pencile and it will be a big mess. If it has to be ironed on to fabric how could it be traced in the window?

I would try it on a scrap. I like to had embroider, too! Have not done much lately. I would like to see yours when it is done!

Jerrie 07-01-2010 12:53 PM

i had that happen to me once also, whit i did was copy the transfer with a pencil press down hard to get it dark then i laid down my fabric on top then i traced with the red transfer pencil i did not have to use the window the dark pencil you can see thru the fabric and make sure it is a iron on transfer pencil and not a marking pencil
it could have been in the right spot but wrong pencil on the shelf

Chele 07-01-2010 01:10 PM

I used my red pencil for the first time last week and it worked like a charm. I drew on cheap printer paper and used my iron on the hottest setting and steam. It only took one little press. Try a different paper maybe? Or sharpen your pencil? Maybe part of the lead was a dud.

What I want to know is do the red marks launder out?

Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll figure it out. I bet those vintage transfers are adorable. Can't wait to see what you embroider.

BeaSewHappy 07-01-2010 01:14 PM

The one lady is right. Use different paper. I use paper that is used on an exam table and it works like a charm. But also try sharpening the pencil if that fails try this little trick... get a lighter or a match and melt the end of the pencil a little like you do eyeliner. That always works for me. But I usually just trace it directly onto the fabric with a fabric pencil.

And yes the red washes out of the cloth.

Maride 07-01-2010 02:18 PM

Can you trace with a water soluble pen? When you are done with the embroidery just rinse it, just like the real transfers.