Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible batting problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-batting-problem-t52326.html)

nativetexan 07-01-2010 03:21 PM

Well, i've used hobbs Heirloom fusible a lot but this time is the end. well, it will be when i've used all that i have on hand up.
the batting was stuck to the plastic bag. I got it out and then spent about an hour pulling and pulling it unstuck enough to lay flat. For the first time i ended up with several holes. I'm not a happy camper!!
i sent Hobbs bonded fiber an email. they should package this with something in between so this would never happen.
i live in Colorado and it's not humid here, so that's not the problem.
now to go work around the stupid holes!!!

mom-6 07-01-2010 03:27 PM

Sounds like it got too hot (perhaps in shipping?) and the fusing occurred in the package.

nativetexan 07-01-2010 03:28 PM

probably, but it's still not fun to pull and pull the fusible flat even when that hasn't happened. you would think they would come up with a better way to package it. I would if i had any say so.
I've read complaints by other quilters who have ended up with holes too. so perhaps this happens often...

littlehud 07-01-2010 07:09 PM

wow, that is never good. Let us know what they say.

Delilah 07-01-2010 09:12 PM

I only tried fusible batting one time and was cured for all time. Very bad experience. Love the spray basting, though.

annette1952 07-01-2010 09:22 PM

They should replace it with something else or give you your money back. That is terrible & also frustrating when you want to use it & can't.

craftybear 07-01-2010 10:02 PM

that is terrible, please let us know what they tell you

mudsprite 07-01-2010 10:06 PM

Our quilt guild (I am a newbie) had a gal from Portland, OR that travels all over the country with batting. She has worked in fabric and garment industry until she became involved with quilting 20 years ago and went to work for Warm and Natural.
She had TWO SUITCASES OF BATTING samples. Small ones, we should have video taped it, there was so much information, so many types of samples and suggestions for what to use for what project, I was amazed. She also addressed quilting and different bats as she is also and amazing quilter and longarmer.

She has published small books on battings, types, uses, best of products, etc. She says she has to update them so often she keeps them small. I will try to get her name for her books.
She said Hobbs is the least expensive but most common batting in use. Anyhow thought I would throw this out there.
Most showing quilts now use cotton with wool backing!!
Cindy

nativetexan 07-02-2010 12:37 PM

Well, I've not heard from Hobbs about the bad batting and i decided to get out another package. i gave up on the batting with the holes in it that took me 1 hour to unstick enough to lay flat.
i got out another package and that one came unstuck easily. like it should. so i may try taking the bad batting back to Hobby lobby but i don't have my receipt. if they would just give me another package, i'd be happy.
I am thinking of changing to Thermore batting or back to a thin poly perhaps.

reach for the stars 2 07-02-2010 12:45 PM

I really really hate that stuff. A lot of times when using it the material puckers on the batting when iron . Tried all brands and techniques. I just don't like the look when done.