Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Poorly cut fat quarters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/poorly-cut-fat-quarters-t55038.html)

Conniequilts 07-18-2010 06:30 AM

I'm just whining which is why I put this post here.

Last night I was cutting fat quarters to do Chop and Sew. The squares are supposed to be 18 x 18. I miss cut the first fq so had to reduce them to 17 x 17. That didn't upset me much.

What did upset is when I unfolded the next fat quarter and found it so poorly cut I almost did not get a 17 x 17 out of it.

Aren't fat quarters suppose to be 18 x 22? Anyone else have this darn problem?

Pam 07-18-2010 06:38 AM

Ouch, feeling your pain. While I do not cut fat quarters, I have a hard time folding it right (get little wrinkles), and then get those darn "dog legs". Annoying to say the least. I often have 3+ yard cuts that I am trying to just get a little off from, How are you supposed to do it? GRRRR....

amandasgramma 07-18-2010 07:01 AM

I'm keep wondering why ALL quilt shops don't use the rotary cutter and rulers! I cringe when I see them using the measuring tape(that's on the table) and the crack in the table for cutting.....I don't blame you for being upset...

mlaceruby 07-18-2010 07:09 AM

I have had this problem in the past
So when I cut FQ's I always do a little extra
cut at 19"
so if the fabric is not perfectly squared on the cutting board I know it is still the 18"

but some fabrics are now going to 40" width so FQ would be 18x20

patricej 07-18-2010 07:24 AM

wonky measures are one reason i don't buy fat quarters for anything but stash-building.

some sources will measure and cut exactly 18".
that's fine. it's what was advertised and paid for. no grounds for complaint.
problem is that even if it's a perfect rectangle, i won't have 18" usable inches once it's washed.

i've received some that were 18" on one end, but less on the other. sooooo i didn't even start with 18 usable inches. :hunf:

the list of boo-boos goes on.

buying fats from a shop for the first time is a crapshoot. isn't that why they built Vegas? :lol:

p.s. very happy to see that mlaceruby takes such care for her customers. :-) :thumbup:

p.s.s. i'm pretty sure it doesn't happen on purpose. if fats are cut by hand, they may not be cut by quilters. we know to measure both side; measure twice; and then cut once. :lol:

reach for the stars 2 07-18-2010 08:08 AM

It's happen to me and yes they are suppose to be 18 x22.

Tink's Mom 07-18-2010 09:31 AM

I have received the same problem...whenever I sell fat quarters on Ebay, they are at least 19". I never want to hear of a complaint that they were shorted. I sometimes will sell what I call remnant's if they are only going to be 17 1/2".

mzsooz 07-18-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
but some fabrics are now going to 40" width so FQ would be 18x20

I did not know this! Do you know why they are going narrower? Wow, that could change everything in the sewing world.
:(

mlaceruby 07-18-2010 10:49 AM

Just like everything else getting smaller and paying more.
1 lb coffee can is now 13 oz
1 lb bacon is now 12 oz
45" wide fabric is now 40"

littlehud 07-18-2010 12:42 PM

Everything is shrinking except me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: