Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   stupid panels... I can't donate this!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/stupid-panels-i-cant-donate-t55068.html)

barnbum 07-18-2010 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This panel was so off square! How frustrating. I wanted a simple project to donate to the local library to do with as they wished--raffle or keep. I bought two of these panels--both are so off! But, to square it up some of the alphabet had to come off both sides. It just doesn't look good enough. Rats. :|

The border was fun to do. I've never made one like this before--is it called piano key?

Sigh...I'll put it away and finish it in a few years for a grandchild. It can be a picnic quilt.

Maybe I'll make more bookmarks for the library.

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-18-2010 10:30 AM

That's too bad. I'd say take the borders off and get rid of the abc boarder, but then the borders you make would be too big. Too much a project to re-do. Could you applique a colored border over the abc's.

n2scraplvr 07-18-2010 10:32 AM

It's so cute! Don't put it away! No one will even notice!! Turn it into a wonky block -- it's already wonky sided, huh? I say go with the flow -- play up its wonkiness! :-D :-D

erstan947 07-18-2010 10:32 AM

I would finish it and give it as planned. You are the only one that would know or care. Go to the store and see how many blankets, clothing etc are not square. I love it. So cute. Love the border.

Char 07-18-2010 10:32 AM

You can always donate it for needy children.
I didn't really notice that it was off until I read your note. I'm sure a little child wouldn't care one bit if they even saw it.

barnbum 07-18-2010 10:33 AM

Luv--I considered taking the abc border off, but I didn't think it'd be square even then! I have one more to play with... I could try. I liked the abc border. I didn't take it off until the first border was on-hoping it'd work. But it was just too weird without the trim. Bummer.

Sadiemae 07-18-2010 10:34 AM

When you make the second one, could you trim it down to 1/4" from the striped border and then add your border? It might not be squared, but I think it would look square. Which would be fine with me as long as it wasn't a custom quilt or for some competition. Just a thought. If it was too small you could even add another border.

barnbum 07-18-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Char
You can always donate it for needy children.
I didn't really notice that it was off until I read your note. I'm sure a little child wouldn't care one bit if they even saw it.

That's an idea! I have been planning on making some up for the Linus Project!

Sadiemae 07-18-2010 10:35 AM

You all type faster than I do.

barnbum 07-18-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
When you make the second one, could you trim it down to 1/4" from the striped border and then add your border? It might not be squared, but I think it would look square. Which would be fine with me as long as it wasn't a custom quilt or for some competition. Just a thought. If it was too small you could even add another border.

That's an idea--the trim part--it should be square if I stick to 1/4" all around?

It's a good size--wouldn't need another border.