Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! How to remove grease spot. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-remove-grease-spot-t56478.html)

MaggieLou 07-27-2010 07:14 AM

I found a black grease spot on a quilt top I'm working on for my GD. I don't know how it got there but I need to try and remove it. It's on the white on white background. I tried washing it after putting Stain Stick on it (which usually takes just about anything out) but it didn't all come out. I heard somewhere about using WD40 or Goop Off. Does anyone know if either of these might work? I'm open to suggestions because replacing the block is not an option. It's 21" square and has 6 large butterflies applicaqed on it. Thanks for your help.

kathy 07-27-2010 07:20 AM

I have used "fast orange" and other hand cleaners on clothes and you could never tell it was there, good luck.

Spydee 07-27-2010 07:22 AM

I would try Simple Green.

It is easily available at places like WalMart (in the auto section) and Lowes.

That stuff has saved more clothing in my house from grease and other nasty industrial goo.

It is also what I use to clean my smooth top stove.

walen 07-27-2010 07:25 AM

I used Goof Off to remove bicycle chain grease on a pair of DH kakis, and it worked like a charm. There wasn't a trace of the black grease or a shadow ring left by the Goof Off. I had washed the pants at least three times before this, pretreating with everything that I had; nothing worked. I thought "These are ruined, so Goof Off couldn't make them worse." Wow! I am pleased that I took a chance and used it.

MinnieKat 07-27-2010 07:30 AM

Maybe Dawn dish soap will work...

Deborah12687 07-27-2010 07:43 AM

My hubby is a maintance person for Cargill and has black grease on his clothes all the time. I use shout advanced spray and let it set for an hour and the stains come right out. What ever you do do not rub the stain remover into the fabric as it leaves a shadow. If I do get the shadow I use oxyclean.

Scissor Queen 07-27-2010 07:48 AM

I used Greased Lightning on a blouse that had been washed and dried several times and it took a grease stain right out. Spray it on, let it set 30 minutes or so and wash.

pittsburgpam 07-27-2010 07:50 AM

If all else fails maybe you could applique another butterfly or something over it?

Rachel 07-27-2010 07:50 AM

There is stuff at the Dollar Tree and Dollar General called "awesome". It works on everything I've tested so far.

donnajean 07-27-2010 08:22 AM

Thanks for the tip on Greased Lightning. I was thinking I needed to purchase some stain removal product, but have a gallon jug of the Greased Lightning on hand.

Dawn detergent handles oil on the driveway, so I would think it would be the safest product to use on fabric for oil stains.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I used Greased Lightning on a blouse that had been washed and dried several times and it took a grease stain right out. Spray it on, let it set 30 minutes or so and wash.