Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   my first ever queen size quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-ever-queen-size-quilt-t63634.html)

sewhip 09-07-2010 11:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i have the top finished, but it is way to big to quilt on my designer I. if i had thought far enough in advance, i would have piece quilted it. i might still do that. just rip out a couple of seams to make it managable. i was shocked at how much it would cost to have it professionally quilted, with material and labor it was quite a bit. but i'm so excited to have the top done. i've been breaking my arm patting myself on the back.

SewHip

all the rows stacked, waiting to be sewn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113456[/ATTACH]

sewing the rows together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113457[/ATTACH]

finished and on the bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113458[/ATTACH]

Ladybugnana 09-07-2010 11:29 PM

That is beautiful. I love the colors! Congratulations and I understand the delimna (sp) of the quilting portion. I think I have slowed on making the large quilts for now for the same reason! LOL

wolfkitty 09-08-2010 12:00 AM

I love the bright colors! And you did a great job on putting it together.

ChubbyBunny 09-08-2010 12:40 AM

Gorgeous quilt! :thumbup:

LeslieSkelly 09-08-2010 01:09 AM

Awesome!

katier825 09-08-2010 01:21 AM

That's very pretty! Have you seen the book Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell. You can leave your top intact and cut the batting into 2-3 pieces. Basically, you sandwich like normal, fold back the top/bottom, cut the batting and label which way it goes. Then you fold the top/bottom back and roll it up out of the way. You are working with 1/2 the thickness. I have only done it on a quilts for kids to try it out. Works great!

HELLuvvANGEL 09-08-2010 01:34 AM

Wonderful Quilt. Love the vivid colors. Om making my 1st quilt and im using the Cotton Theory. Very easy!! When you rip out the seams of each block then u make the sandwich of top- batting- backing. Next Quilt on machine however you like EACH block. Then u use strips for example..... Your block is 12 1/2" sq then the strip will be 1" wide x 12 1/2" long. You will need a strip for front and back. They can be different and with this method your backing can be another quilt top with same size block. The 1' wide is based on a 1/4" seam. You will sew the front strip rightside to right side with the back side strip also right to right side. Sew the 1/4" seam. This leaves you 3/4" of the strip. Take next block in line and sew right front to the strip u have on the 1st piece with a 1/4" seam. When you open it up the inside raw edges of your blocks will meet. Just make sure when u put on the width strip u fold over the back strips 1/4". When done you will have to hand sew the backing strips in place. I hope this might be a way to quilt it at home and save some money and also a little more creative. Good luck but i think no matter how you do it it will always be absolutely stunning!!!!

Bmanmommy 09-08-2010 01:42 AM

Beautiful Quilt

SueDor 09-08-2010 02:03 AM

Very nice!

rootyr 09-08-2010 02:17 AM

Lovely!