Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Discouraged beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/discouraged-beginner-t73343.html)

CindyinNY 10-30-2010 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have all of my table runner done except for the binding. Just can't figure out how to get the two ends to meet around the end point. I've been at if for two days and it's a wonder the fabric hasn't broken down from so much trying. I've read and read on the net and watched videos but still can't get it.

I have enjoyed working on it and learned a lot but maybe I am just not meant to be a quilter. I feel so dumb having been sewing for over 40 years.

Binding is :evil: :(

amma 10-30-2010 08:29 PM

Scroll down a bit on this page :D:D:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-1395-1.htm

Bewitching_Stitcher 10-30-2010 08:31 PM

Connecting your binding at a corner is the hardest place to do it. I usually connect it in the middle of a long straight side.

wolfkitty 10-30-2010 08:35 PM

Do you have a little extra binding fabric? You could add it on and connect the binding around the corner, on the straight side part.

What I can see of your runner, looks very nice! It will be lovely when you are done.

Sweeterthanwine 10-30-2010 08:43 PM

I too have trouble with this. The tute was a big help to me. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

CindyinNY 10-30-2010 08:44 PM

Yes, Wolfkitty I have quite a bit of the binding material. Thank you all for your advice. This forum is awesome!

WHY couldn't I think of that??????? I'll give it a try tomorrow, I developed a headache from working on it this evening.

Tutes are great but I sometimes have trouble understanding them, I'm more of a hands on learner, I guess.

azwendyg 10-30-2010 08:46 PM

Things will look much better in the morning! No wonder you're struggling; you'll be so much happier if you join your binding along a straight area of the edge, not at the point. Then I think the tutorials you've been watching will make a whole lot more sense to you. Can you cut some more binding strip so that you can join a new piece along one of the sides and get it set up so that you have about 12 inches of straight edge to do the final join? It's tricky enough to get those points right without trying to join the ends there too.

Sadiemae 10-30-2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
Yes, Wolfkitty I have quite a bit of the binding material. Thank you all for your advice. This forum is awesome!

WHY couldn't I think of that??????? I'll give it a try tomorrow, I developed a headache from working on it this evening.

Tutes are great but I sometimes have trouble understanding them, I'm more of a hands on learner, I guess.

Thank you for posting the picture. It is easier to know what it happening when we can see it. I understand why you have a headache. It would give anyone a headache. I agree with everyone who has commented, and the tutes also will tell you that the easiest place to join your binding is on a long straight area. I have a couple runners like this, but I haven't quilted mine yet. You reminded me I need to finish them and hopefully sell them. It will also be easier for you after you rest and are not stressed.

annieshane 10-30-2010 09:02 PM

Your quilt is lovely. Your points match so well, so you are doing a lot of things correctly. Once you move your connecting to a straight edge, you will be fine. Some times we hit a problem that discourages us so much we question our abilities and want to give up. Please don't let that happen because you are doing so well. Once this is mastered, you will really enjoy your quilting. The quilters on this board are fantastic and so knowledgable as well as willing to share their skills.

mom2suki 10-30-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bewitching_Stitcher
Connecting your binding at a corner is the hardest place to do it. I usually connect it in the middle of a long straight side.

This is where I have always connected my binding. The tute proved to me that it could be done in the corner, but I'm not sure I'm up to trying it that way!! :?: