Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Boyfriend fudge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/boyfriend-fudge-t75891.html)

finch 11-12-2010 04:46 AM

Boyfriend Fudge
from Mrs. Ann Brown of Milledgeville, Georgia

■3 cups sugar
■½ teaspoons salt
■1 cup whole milk
■2 Tablespoons Light corn syrup
■½ cup sifted, unsweetened cocoa
■3 Tablespoons Margarine
■1 teaspoon vanilla
■1 cup broken nuts
Lightly grease 8” or 9” pan with margarine. In heavy 3-quart saucepan, cook the following ingredients: sugar, salt, milk, corn syrup, and cocoa – stirring frequently until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and stir occasionally until mixture reaches soft ball stage. Remove from heat, add 3 Tablespoons Margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla – DO NOT STIR. Cool to lukewarm. Mixture may be cooled by setting pan in cold water. Beat fudge slowly until it holds its shape when dropped from spoon. Add 1 cup nuts. Quickly pour fudge into buttered pan.

Refrigerate covered for 2 hours. Cut into 1” squares.

Better if cooked on cool, sunny day.

CarrieAnne 11-12-2010 05:04 AM

YUM, I love fudge!

sewgull 11-12-2010 09:09 AM

Why cool sunny day? Doesdamp weather make a lot of difference?

amma 11-12-2010 02:29 PM

Humidity can change the outcome of many baked/cooked items.
If it is too warm, fudge needs to be stored in the fridge to maintain it's consistency :wink:

Thank you for sharing with us :D:D:D

sueisallaboutquilts 11-12-2010 04:29 PM

Love fudge! Thanks !! :)

polly13 11-13-2010 09:37 AM

I have been looking for a cocoa fudge recipe my mother used to make. All of them today have melted semi-sweet chips. I can't wait to try this one.
Thanks for posting.

ptquilts 11-13-2010 10:43 AM

the last time I made fudge it was drinkable.

Yankee in Texas 11-13-2010 08:53 PM

The last time I made fudge (similar recipe) The spoon stood straight up in it and stayed there!!!!! LOL and the time before it became spoon fudge! LOL So, it either breaks your teeth, or becomes ice cream topping for me!!

But, I will give this one a try too! :>) It may work for me.

auntiehenno 11-16-2010 05:26 AM

Love fudge! Have made a different one. Think it is now on marshmellow jar label. Have made it since 1955. we called it BASEBALL Fudge. My 2 girlfriends and I made it when we listened to tha games on radio.

amandasgramma 11-16-2010 07:38 AM

When making fudge or any candy that requires a thermometer or testing to find "soft-ball stage" or "hard ball stage", the weather DOES play into the results. If the air is dry you need to add more moisture in some cooking (like bread) or if it's wet out, then reduce the moisture.

ALSO -- and I burned 3 pans of fudge before I figured this out....if you live at HIGH altitudes, the temps on the thermometer need to be LOWER than what recipes call for. In another words...if the recipe says cook to 325 degrees, then cook it to the 320 degree temp. HIGH or LOW altitude DOES make a difference!