Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I could cry right now. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-could-cry-right-now-t76326.html)

deema 11-14-2010 10:25 AM

I FINALLY finished my MIL's Christmas gift quilt...with just two weeks to spare, because we're celebrating early. I finished hiding all of my loose threads last night and threw it in the wash...I took it out today and it's shrunk and distorted and puckered and I am so sad. I pre-washed all of my fabric (front and back)...I think the batting is what shrunk (it is a cotton/poly blend but I don't know the ratio because I bought it second hand without packaging or anything)...It looks awful. I feel awful. I can't give this as a gift to somebody...it's terrible! I'm so sad. It's shrunk AT LEAST four inches!!!

:cry:

Now what am I supposed to to about MIL's Christmas gift?!? AHHHHHH

Scissor Queen 11-14-2010 10:27 AM

She won't know that it shrank. Post a picture. I'll bet it's fine.

oatw13 11-14-2010 10:27 AM

I am sure it can't be as bad as you think. Do you have a picture?

You could try re-washing it on a gentle cycle and then gently stretching it back out to shape and air dry it. This sometimes works with sweaters, it may work with your quilt.

I am curious to see what others say.

fidgety 11-14-2010 10:28 AM

Did you put it in the dryer? I am not sure what to do but I am sure someone on here might be able to help you out.

cjomomma 11-14-2010 10:28 AM

Sorry this happened. I have heard others say it is a good idea to put the batting in the dryer to shrink before use.

mollymct 11-14-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I am sure it can't be as bad as you think. Do you have a picture?

You could try re-washing it on a gentle cycle and then gently stretching it back out to shape and air dry it. This sometimes works with sweaters, it may work with your quilt.

I am curious to see what others say.

I thought of this, too. See if this works!

Candace 11-14-2010 10:28 AM

If the batting is a poly cotton mix, it shouldn't have shrunk much at all. Wool batts shrink significantly-as much as your describing. Are you sure it's not wool?

beckyw 11-14-2010 10:29 AM

take out the quilting and requilt it with new batting. It was the batting that got smaller.

ptquilts 11-14-2010 10:29 AM

oh, that is horrible!! I feel so bad for you!! what temp did you wash it at, and did you put it in the dryer? I would tend to think the dryer is what did it.
I hope your MIL is nice and will understand - maybe a "gift certificate" for another quilt??

deema 11-14-2010 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
If the batting is a poly cotton mix, it shouldn't have shrunk much at all. Wool batts shrink significantly-as much as your describing. Are you sure it's not wool?

I don't know that it is not wool...it seems too light to be wool, but I suppose it could be. I'm almost certain that it's got poly in it though...