Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quick Machine Binding with Flange (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-machine-binding-flange-t77821.html)

charismah 11-21-2010 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A lady came in and taught this to use a few months back at a long arm quilters meeting and I thought I would share. I am one of those people who do hand binding but when you are in a hurry and you need binding done fast..this is the way!

You will need two different colors for the binding strips
You cut the outer edge 1 3/8 you cut the flange peice 1 5/8 (inches)

Then sew them just like you would normal binding in one long strip ( short side ...to short side right sides together)
Then you sew them together to create your 2.5 inch binding
Sew them together on the long sides right sides together

2 different strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131193[/ATTACH]

Sewn together to create 2.5 inch binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131198[/ATTACH]

charismah 11-21-2010 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Press the seam to the dark.....Then fold and press lile you would with your normal binding....

I put a darker fabric under mine so you could see that little peice a bit a better

charismah 11-21-2010 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now we are ready to sew it on our quilt! YOu apply the binding just like you would normaly....mitered corners....however you choose to meet up the ends ect....
But you sew it on to the back of the quilt with the flange side showing...

SO that when we flip it over on to the top of the quilt it looks like this ( front picture of quilt)

SO when you flip the binding over and start machine stitcing it on the top of your quilt you find matching thread for the little bit of flange to kind of hide your stitches....as long as you stay on the flange it looks nice...but it is best to try to SID if you can.

So the end result looks like this

This is the front of the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131141[/ATTACH]

Applying on the back of the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131221[/ATTACH]

End result
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131222[/ATTACH]

craftybear 11-21-2010 12:28 PM

that is aweome, thanks for sharing with us

DebbieJJ 11-21-2010 12:45 PM

Thanks Charisma! I've thought about doing that with my next quilt, and this gives me the push to go ahead and do it!

SewSydney 11-21-2010 12:52 PM

Thank you for this tutorial, I have never seen this before and appreciate you sharing it. I will definitely use this method on my next project.

Cheers from Oz,

IBQUILTIN 11-21-2010 01:26 PM

That is just toooooooooo awesome. Thanx for posting the tute

mrspete 11-21-2010 01:27 PM

Thank you somuch. This helps I can't seem to cut the binding wide enough, but I could do two smaller strips and use this method for attaching. You are an angel.

Blessings, Ruth

klgreene 11-21-2010 01:55 PM

yet again another tute for me to try. I like that little extra color in there. And I have a couple things in the works right now I can try this one. Thanks again!

Gatormom3 11-21-2010 01:56 PM

Thanks! I knew there had to be an easier way of doing this than I have been doing!