Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-hate-task-picking-out-fabric-t80220.html)

MZStitch 12-02-2010 04:59 PM

My Mom gave me some cash for my birthday. I already had my plans for a king size storm at sea ready, so I headed to a favorite quilt shop today. I spent two hours wandering around the store, and left with nothing.
This past summer, same thing, I had a chance to spend a day in Lancaster Pennsylvania and many Amish quilt shops.. Left with nothing.
I love to quilt, I love the whole process of piecing, applique, free motion quilting. But when it comes to picking out the fabric, I'm at a loss.
I did buy one 1/4 yard piece to check the color out in my room, brought it home, didn't like it! On to another shop sometime next week! Argh.

klgreene 12-02-2010 05:06 PM

You sound like my sister. We could go into a fabric store, and in 5 min. I have a handful of fabric. She's still looking 45 min. later. TO me that's the first fun part of a quilt.

cjomomma 12-02-2010 05:07 PM

I love to pick out fabric's. To me it is the funnest part.

irishrose 12-02-2010 05:11 PM

I'm with cjomomma, I love picking out fabrics. I rarely make a mistake on color or anything on fabric I can touch. Online I've chosen a little off a few times. But, as I tell my daughter, don't panic until you've sewn together a few blocks. Make a choice and go for it.

mommamac 12-02-2010 05:12 PM

my problem is narrowing down my choices to what I really need. Do you ever go buddy shopping - have a friend pick out fabrics for you

lab fairy 12-02-2010 05:14 PM

Fabric choice is really hard for me and I find it daunting. I guess it is my least favorite part of quilting.

cherylynne 12-02-2010 05:17 PM

Yup, that's why I buy from collections and use alot of kits.

Favorite Fabrics 12-02-2010 05:18 PM

Oh my, choosing the fabrics is so much fun! (I love my job...!)

Sadiemae 12-02-2010 05:19 PM

I absolutely love picking out fabric, wish I could buy some!!!

grann of 6 12-02-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
My Mom gave me some cash for my birthday. I already had my plans for a king size storm at sea ready, so I headed to a favorite quilt shop today. I spent two hours wandering around the store, and left with nothing.
This past summer, same thing, I had a chance to spend a day in Lancaster Pennsylvania and many Amish quilt shops.. Left with nothing.
I love to quilt, I love the whole process of piecing, applique, free motion quilting. But when it comes to picking out the fabric, I'm at a loss.
I did buy one 1/4 yard piece to check the color out in my room, brought it home, didn't like it! On to another shop sometime next week! Argh.

Sounds like me. I have trouble making a decision. That's why I like the collections; all the coordinating fabrics are picked out for me. I guess it would be easy if I could buy EVERYTHING.