Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-frame-t81725.html)

MarthaT 12-09-2010 02:10 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Awhile back there was a thread about hand quilting frames and I didn't have any pictures to show my very inexpensive, easy to make frame. Now I do, so I guess I'll start a new thread. Hope the pictures make sense. If not, feel free to ask questions.

Four pieces of wood 2 in. wide with fabric attached, held together by C clamps on wooden stands 28 in. tall.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140532[/ATTACH]

Oops! ( should have turned it first) Close-up of stand
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140533[/ATTACH]

First pin longest side of backing to longest sticks. Stretch out and clamp to end sticks and pin all four sides in, stretching out flat. Right side of fabric faces floor.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140535[/ATTACH]

Next layer, the batting, cut to fit. No need to pin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140538[/ATTACH]

Finally center top on quilt frame and pin in place.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140539[/ATTACH]

Quilt along long side in as far as you can confortably reach, then unpin enough at the ends so that you can release the clamps and roll in the quilted part and reach the next section. Continue quilting on the long sides until you reach the middle and the quilt is finished!!! In this picture the borders are finished and I'm now ready to quilt the blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140542[/ATTACH]

Everything in place ready to be hand quilted. Nothing to baste. Off the floor and not in your lap. Easy to build frame that adjusts to any quilt size. I have a collections of "sticks" of various lengths to fit different quilt sizes. Just make sure there are at least two of each length.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140543[/ATTACH]

stewyscrewy 12-09-2010 02:18 PM

what a cool quilting frame thank you for sharing this with us.

Lacelady 12-09-2010 03:04 PM

I think it looks brilliant, thank you for taking the trouble to post pics - now if you could just pop over the Atlantic, and show me how you quilt in different directions, I would be able to get started. I can do right to left, as I am right handed, but what about the other directions?

MarthaT 12-09-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I think it looks brilliant, thank you for taking the trouble to post pics - now if you could just pop over the Atlantic, and show me how you quilt in different directions, I would be able to get started. I can do right to left, as I am right handed, but what about the other directions?

I mostly go from right to left or towards me. Away from me and left to right, not too much...kind of one stitch at a time if needed to get to a place that's easy to quilt in a good direction again. For this quilt, since it's a small one and easy to manage, I'll probably quilt the white blocks in a quilting hoop. That way I can keep turning it as I quilt the flowers and not have to cut my threads and start over so often.

Cyn 12-09-2010 05:20 PM

I lap quilt but this is awesome!

ljsunflower 12-09-2010 05:33 PM

That is a great frame! thanks for the pics & explanation.

wanderingcreek 12-09-2010 08:31 PM

What a great idea for a frame!

Borntohandquilt 12-09-2010 11:04 PM

Thank you for posting the pictures! It's great to see where and how you hand quilt.
BTW: I love the rose fabric you use for the backing and the border!

Hinterland 12-10-2010 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I can do right to left, as I am right handed, but what about the other directions?

I use a tailor thimble on my thumb, so I can quilt away from myself. I've also read where some quilters use their thumbnail, which would work for short distances.

Hinterland 12-10-2010 05:29 AM

Your frame looks very comfy to sit at and work - and you can see the entire quilt which is always neat!

Do you ever get a bubble of fabric in the middle, since you're quilting towards the center? And do you have cats??? Mine would be in the center, supervising the work!