Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sandy's Cat Face Bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sandys-cat-face-bag-t81752.html)

Moon Holiday 12-09-2010 04:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My friend Sandy loves small bags... and she is obsessed with cats.... especially black cats... so I made her this little cat face bag for Xmas.

Cyn 12-09-2010 04:16 PM

I love it and cats too! Was there a pattern for this bag that you can share?

RkayD 12-09-2010 04:47 PM

That is adorable. =)

Moon Holiday 12-09-2010 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basically I drew the cat face on a horizontal 11X14 sheet of paper, and used that as the template (tracing line is cutting line). Drawing attached, but I didn't follow any pattern. The eyes and nose were appliqued blue batik fabric, with the black iris drawn in black fabric marker. The whiskers etc. were just stitched on the lines I drew. The back has a zipper inserted slightly above the center. I used interfacing and batting on front and only interfacing on the back. Once I had the face sewn and the zipper inserted in the back, I traced the template on lining material, leaving opening for zipper. I cut the template out on the traced line. Putting black material (cat face...back zipper) RST with the lining RS on outside, I did a dense overcast stitch around the edge being sure to leave openings for strap to come out of the ears. I inserted straps in through the opened zipper and up through the ears, then when they were in place I overcast stitched the edge of the ears. Last, I turned the bag right side out and gently tugged to get the straps and ears out.... and ran my hand around the inside edge of the bag to shape the bag. Hope this explanation helps.

Cyn 12-09-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
Basically I drew the cat face on a horizontal 11X14 sheet of paper, and used that as the template (tracing line is cutting line). Drawing attached, but I didn't follow any pattern. The eyes and nose were appliqued blue batik fabric, with the black iris drawn in black fabric marker. The whiskers etc. were just stitched on the lines I drew. The back has a zipper inserted slightly above the center. I used interfacing and batting on front and only interfacing on the back. Once I had the face sewn and the zipper inserted in the back, I traced the template on lining material, leaving opening for zipper. I cut the template out on the traced line. Putting black material (cat face...back zipper) RST with the lining RS on outside, I did a dense overcast stitch around the edge being sure to leave openings for strap to come out of the ears. I inserted straps in through the opened zipper and up through the ears, then when they were in place I overcast stitched the edge of the ears. Last, I turned the bag right side out and gently tugged to get the straps and ears out.... and ran my hand around the inside edge of the bag to shape the bag. Hope this explanation helps.

Wow! Thanks and you are quite the artist! Nice drawing!

Toto's Mom 12-09-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I love it and cats too! Was there a pattern for this bag that you can share?

I have a daughter that is cat crazy, and how needs a new purse, too. Would love to know where you got this pattern? :thumbup:

Antdebby1 12-09-2010 05:39 PM

Very cute!

Lady Tapioca 12-09-2010 05:40 PM

I love it! You are very talented

Toto's Mom 12-09-2010 05:58 PM

Thanks very much!!! I think I can look at your sketch and do one that will work.
Appreciate your help, and now am off to make one for my daughter, as her birthday is coming up the 15th.
Merry Christmas!!!

Deecee 12-09-2010 08:47 PM

Cute!