Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You ever think your just not good at this ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-ever-think-your-just-not-good-t86408.html)

deedum 12-31-2010 04:39 AM

I hope to finish the binding tonite on a quilt for my dh, it it a pattern that I made up due to the material design itself. I am just not thrilled with quality of my work. It won't ever win any award, but my dh says it doesn't have to be perfect for him! Bless his heart. I had hoped to finish it for his birthday in November, then my goal was Christmas, now my goal is New Year's. Ever glad to be done with a project? Sometimes I think I am just no good at this stuff. Then I look at it and think it is not that bad. Then I think I am just not cut out for this stuff. Then, like a nut I turn around and start again......

scowlkat 12-31-2010 04:43 AM

I am always glad to be done with something - some more than most. My main problem is getting started on something I know I won't enjoy!

granky 12-31-2010 04:44 AM

If we had to be good at quilting, many of us would be barred from all projects. There are no quilt police! Just enjoy the process...and the results!

Jabear617 12-31-2010 04:46 AM

Just think of all the Sweet Memories you will have in your loving Quilt:) Sounds like your hubby already loves it:) That is very special to have someone want and love your quilt:) You must be doing something right:) Happy New Year to you and your husband:)

cjomomma 12-31-2010 04:49 AM

Many times I have thought that. But I do see myself getting better with each quilt. I seem to enjoy cutting and making the tops more then the rest of the process.

quiltsRfun 12-31-2010 04:57 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself. Projects don't meet our expectations because we're our own worst critics. Just because you see all the little imperfections doesn't mean anyone else will. For me the important thing is to enjoy the process and learn something from my disappointments.

raptureready 12-31-2010 05:04 AM

I must admit I don't. There's some patterns/fabrics/blocks that I've started and found out that I don't like the colors, or the pattern and laid them aside, there's projects that I couldn't wait to finish, and I've never made a "show" quilt yet but to think that it's something I'm just not good at? Nope, it's never entered my mind. Sometimes I just think it's an age thing---the older we get the more we realize perfection just doesn't matter.

deedum 12-31-2010 05:08 AM

Thanks everyone! I have quilted this full size quilt on my little janome jem. If I am going to continue I may have to invest in a longer throat,that is what I tell myself anyway. That is a lot to wrestle under a little machine. Like I don't have others..off to work. Happy New Year!

plainpat 12-31-2010 05:11 AM

Isn't that the truth? Another thought...do we have a perfect house,perfect life,perfect meals? Then why do so many of us use perfect as a benchmark for quilts? Nothing I do is perfect,but it's sure a lot of fun... works for me.

Originally Posted by raptureready
I must admit I don't. There's some patterns/fabrics/blocks that I've started and found out that I don't like the colors, or the pattern and laid them aside, there's projects that I couldn't wait to finish, and I've never made a "show" quilt yet but to think that it's something I'm just not good at? Nope, it's never entered my mind. Sometimes I just think it's an age thing---the older we get the more we realize perfection just doesn't matter.

Holice 12-31-2010 05:14 AM

Don't give up. Especially if you love the craft. Let me suggest that instead of just quitting that you slow down and anlayze what is going wrong that makes you dissatisfied.
If you keep making the same errors/mistakes you will never improve. I found this out by analyzing problems with my binding. When I discovered what was going wrong I could correct them. Most quilters find out what works best for them. You can as well.