Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Quilt_Along Week 24 Blocks 45 & 46 Discussion Page. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-quilt_along-week-24-blocks-45-46-discussion-page-t87756.html)

Honchey 01-04-2011 08:36 PM

I am so upset with myself :-( . About one and a half hours ago I did something wrong and I lost all my instructions for the rotary cutting for this week as I was typing them. I had to start all over again. What a bummer :( Anyway another week is here and we are 41.44% of the way to block completion. That's for those who are up to date. I wish I was up to date! I do have my fabric all picked out for the next several blocks. I have some more assembly work to do on this weeks blocks. I really would like to get caught up. Anne

deranged_damsel 01-04-2011 10:00 PM

Anne, thank you so much for all of the hard work you have put into this project! I greatly appreciate it!!! When I moved I was about 12 blocks behind, you will catch up just fine :D

JAGSD 01-05-2011 06:41 AM

Anne,
Sorry to hear about losing the rotary instructions, How frustrating. I too want to "Thank you" for all your Hard work!!((HUGS))
Have you been able to figure out an easier pp pattern for
#47? I am going to try and work at it some more this afternoon.

rwquilts 01-05-2011 07:57 AM

Anne, so sorry to hear about losing the directions and having to re-do them! Thanks so much for all you for us here! We appreciate it!!!

I enjoyed making block 45, but not 46. I don't think 46 is a particularly pretty block.

Honchey 01-05-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
Anne,
Sorry to hear about losing the rotary instructions, How frustrating. I too want to "Thank you" for all your Hard work!!((HUGS))

When I did this block I sewed the 3 piece corners first.Then joined a corner to # 54- then added another corner. Repeat this step for the other side.I then sewed the other 2 # 54 to the center square. You now have 3 sections a top, middle and a bottom section. when you line up the middle to the top (do this for the other section too) pin the intersecions where the center block is then sew it using a fix stitch at the intersections. remove from the machine. you will then bring the ends of #54 & 55 together by placing a pin thru the points of both where they are supposed to be sewn. In order to get these 2 sections to lay flat to sew you have to fold the center block. place the section back on machine- bring the needle down in the intersection and continue sewing to the end. This is pivoting. some will do this in one fell swoop, all 3 sections at once, if you do that-when you get to the intersection (inside point)leave the needle in the down position- lift the presser foot- adjust the fabric so it lays flat, lower presser foot and continue sewing. I find that sewing this block in the 3 sections there's less handling and the block won't get distorted. There are no set in seams this way.

JAGSD 01-05-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey

Anne,

When I did this block I sewed the 3 piece corners first.Then joined a corner to # 54- then added another corner. Repeat this step for the other side.I then sewed the other 2 # 54 to the center square. You now have 3 sections a top, middle and a bottom section. when you line up the middle to the top (do this for the other section too) pin the intersecions where the center block is then sew it using a fix stitch at the intersections. remove from the machine. you will then bring the ends of #54 & 55 together by placing a pin thru the points of both where they are supposed to be sewn. In order to get these 2 sections to lay flat to sew you have to fold the center block. place the section back on machine- bring the needle down in the intersection and continue sewing to the end. This is pivoting. some will do this in one fell swoop, all 3 sections at once, if you do that-when you get to the intersection (inside point)leave the needle in the down position- lift the presser foot- adjust the fabric so it lays flat, lower presser foot and continue sewing. I find that sewing this block in the 3 sections there's less handling and the block won't get distorted. There are no set in seams this way.

Thank you Anne
I will print and see what happens.

PiecesinMn 01-05-2011 11:21 AM

Thank you Anne for all you do. I'm so far behind it's not even funny. Honestly I only have through 12 done. I'm not worried. Finally got my sewing room back so I'll slowly catch up. I enjoy the process, looking at everyone's blocks and reading the letters in the book, so there is no downside. It's all good. Again, thank you for the instructions. Have been a huge help.

Honchey 01-05-2011 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Honchey

Anne,

Thank you Anne
I will print and see what happens.

Hi, here is a scan of the backside of the block. you can see how the middle section-crosswise- lays flat after sewing. you can also see where the stitching starts-fixed- in the corners of the center square. You can also see a crooked seam :oops: ,I left it that way because the front turned out okay. Visuals always help. Anne

block 47 backside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154035[/ATTACH]

JAGSD 01-05-2011 02:32 PM

Thank you Anne.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-09-2011 07:06 PM

Beautiful work, Anne. I love it. Working on getting there with mine...but I am not there yet. Yes, I am guilty of "fussy cutting" my material to put the picture where I want it in each block. Made up to #60, and quit making FWSQ blocks for a while. Doing a quilt pattern called "True Blue" from Miss Rosy. Also Blue rose pattern quilt, too. Winter blues, I guess.