Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilting squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-squares-t88646.html)

G'ma Kay 01-08-2011 08:19 AM

Ok, I obviously can't comprehend the technique, but How do you quilt inside squares without turning the whole piece 4 times for every square? I love my walking foot, and I don't get it even like I want when I use the free motion foot. Is there a short cut that I just can't fathom? Thanks for all the help I receive on this board. I am so inspired by all of you, especially the newbies that ask the questions I didn't even know I needed to know!

Mattee 01-08-2011 08:23 AM

I either use FMQ, or I do it in rows, stopping and starting as I move from square to square. I quilt all of the horizontal sides of the squares, then I rotate and quilt all of the vertical. So, each square is quilted one side at a time. Did that make sense?

nativetexan 01-08-2011 08:31 AM

if you are doing regular machine quilting you may have to turn your quilt around and around. yes, it's tedious.
FMQ is done with a darning foot/spring foot, not a walking foot.
the walking foot is good though if doing regular stitching.
we all get sore shoulder muscles pushing our quilts through our machine throats doing regular quilting.
one really good reason for Long Arm Quilters!

luvspaper 01-08-2011 08:51 AM

Agree it's a lot of turning and that's why I tend to like FMQ.

dgmoby 01-08-2011 09:04 AM

Yup...it's either with the walking foot and turning it, or else it's free-motion and accepting that it's not perfect (but knowing the more you do it, the better it gets!).

Sorry, there's no better answer :(

Debbie in Austin

Dianne Lenore 01-08-2011 01:11 PM

The way I do it is to turn the block on point. Start at the top of the point (with the walking foot) Sew down the right side to the bottom piont of the on point block.
Take your needle out. Go back to the top point. This time, sew down the left side of the block to the bottom point where it meats the other line of stitches. ( I mark my sewing lines with wash away marker.) This compleats the block without having to turn the quilt. Then just go to the next block.

clem55 01-08-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore
The way I do it is to turn the block on point. Start at the top of the point (with the walking foot) Sew down the right side to the bottom piont of the on point block.
Take your needle out. Go back to the top point. This time, sew down the left side of the block to the bottom point where it meats the other line of stitches. ( I mark my sewing lines with wash away marker.) This compleats the block without having to turn the quilt. Then just go to the next block.

good idea!!

G'ma Kay 01-08-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by clem55

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore

good idea!!

YOU ARE BRILLIANT! THANKS!