Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learning about fabric. Muslin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-about-fabric-muslin-t89134.html)

Cupcake 01-09-2011 07:27 PM

In my search for an affordable fabric to start with, I found some muslin listed on Ebay.

This is what the seller says about it -

This is 36 inch wide light weight muslin. This was not on the correct cardboard when I bought it. My best guess, after going to the fabric store, is that it is bleached pern. press muslin.
I am hoping to use it to make a cathedral window quilt. Would this be a bad choice for any reason?

sharon b 01-09-2011 07:30 PM

For me personally I would rather stick with fabric of a known content- Muslin can be tricky(?) to begin with then throw in the uncertainty of content - nope - not for me, sorry

what about Joanns when it is on sale ?

amma 01-09-2011 07:33 PM

Thin muslin is good for foundation piecing, but not sure about using it for regular piecing or backing :D:D:D

Cupcake 01-09-2011 07:35 PM

If you mean physically going to a Joanns store, I'll have to wait about a year to do that. They don't have any of those in Japan. Maybe I could find something from their online stores?

The only thing I ever used muslin for was doing a drape/pattern making.

QultingaddictUK 01-09-2011 07:37 PM

I have found Muslin courser and rougher than cotton, I use a heck of a lot of it, plain, for foundation scrap piecing, backings for place-mats, wall-hangings etc; and bag linings

Cyn 01-09-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Thin muslin is good for foundation piecing, but not sure about using it for regular piecing or backing :D:D:D

ditto

littlehud 01-09-2011 07:56 PM

Light weight muslin may be to flimsy for piecing.

Cupcake 01-09-2011 08:08 PM

Thanks everyone :) So the muslin is out for this project then. The price was pretty nice though.

What does everyone think of a cotton broadcloth? Too heavy? The finished blocks will be 4 layers thick. I also don't know about the eventual cost. I will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 yards.

Scissor Queen 01-09-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cupcake
In my search for an affordable fabric to start with, I found some muslin listed on Ebay.

This is 36 inch wide light weight muslin. This was not on the correct cardboard when I bought it. My best guess, after going to the fabric store, is that it is bleached pern. press muslin.
I am hoping to use it to make a cathedral window quilt. Would this be a bad choice for any reason?

Actually for a CW it might be just perfect. If you use too heavy of a fabric to start with those quilts get really heavy.

beautress 01-09-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cupcake

Very. Cathedral Windows requires turning and using the bias. If it were my project, anything other than cotton would creep me out before I started it.